1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not another tire thread ... but ...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by derrickhackman, Feb 21, 2007.

1. derrickhackman

derrickhackman Well-Known Member

I am thinking of changing from Pirelli Super Corse Pro SC2 to the Brigestone BT002 for this coming season. The price difference for a set 120/70 and 190/55 is quite substantial between the 'stones and the pirellis. Anyone make this change? I am running an '04 990cc V-twin Aprilia RSV.

Thoughts? Impressions on the 'stones? Again, you can save more than $100 bucks running the 'stones.

They look like they will work ... I think I will try them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

I run the 'stones & love them.
    If you're in the SE Stickboy is the man to see (click from my sig), or he can ship to where ever you are.
    You should be open to trying other brands just to see the difference.
    Bear in mind the bike may need some adjusting to get the best feel from switching brands.

3. derrickhackman

Thanks for the heads-up on stickboy :beer:

My suspension/chassis tuner will give me setup numbers for the 'stones so that should help with the transition.

4. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have a guy on an Aprillia that won a couple of races for me at Tally earlier this month. The 002's seem to be working well for him. Go check out mylaps under HWSS and HWSB

Let me know if I can help

6. 1anoney

1anoney The next member

Sorry to highjack but wats a perelli orange

7. derrickhackman

Well hot damn that was the cheapest way I have ever gained displacement ...thanks Hank :beer: Gaining and extra 100cc and getting a few more CKruzel decals will surely make the lap times drop for this season ... he he he

Stickboy I will look up the lap times. These tires would be run at NHIS (Loudon) which can be a pretty rough track both bumpy and can chew-up tires. You think the medium compound is the way to go? Perhaps early season run the soft compound until the track and ambient air temp gets up there (say June-ish) then switch to the medium compound (F:R)... ? What do you think?

Thanks again.
    :beer:

8. stickboy274

At tally we were running the softest fronts and the med rears. Later we will go to med fronts and even to the hardest rears for sprints in the middle of summer.

9. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Derrick - have you spoken to Clarkie about tires at Louden? He would be an excellent source of info as it was his home track for a few years.

10. derrickhackman

Well, i know that he ran the dunlops but eventually went with Pirelli. I think Clarkie would be a little skeptical of moving from Pirelli to the 'stones.

I have a little time to think about it and kick the idea around... I really don't want to jump from one tire make to another to another... I would rather have that a known quantity and just worry about riding.

11. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Derek for the pace you will be running in your first year tires wont make a huge difference as they are all great nowdays, the biggest thing is trackside support. If the Bridgestone guy is going to be there all year you will be golden as tech support at Loudon is pretty critical as the track is hard as heck on tires.

I would still go see Miles at Street n Comp though as the Supercorsa's (not Pro's) will be selling for around $270 a set from what I am told. But if the Bridgestone guy knows his stuff they will be hard to pass up as they have a killer price and their contingency program kicks ass!

12. derrickhackman

Clarkie ... thanks for your input on this topic :beer:

I did work with Miles last season to get the pressures right on Pirellis... he is a real great guy and I would like to work with him and run the Pirellis long term but man, the cost is up there compared to the 'stones. And knowing that I probably cannot use the SC Pros to their potential (I am doing about low '20's at Loudon) that the 'stones may make more sense.... ya, know I don't know ... it is a crap shoot.

There is a lot to be said about running what you are comfortable with and you are right about the trackside support. Bridgestone is not that supported at Loudon ... as compared to Pirelli and Michelin.

I talked with my buddy Louis about this and he kinda convinced me that both of us should stay with Pirelli ... at least this way we can buy in bulk and help each other out.

Thanks again for your input.

13. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

talk to Miles about the Supercorsa's then, like I said the pricing I heard was around $270 a set

14. derrickhackman

thats great pricing for sure ... thanks again and take care.

15. stickboy274

I can't come up there and be at the track for you, but we also offer up to $50/set if you buy in bulk.

16. derrickhackman

I checked your website Stickboy and you are the guy to go to for the 'stones. You have what looks like and active forum and some good content. You are also tied into Team Bridgestone and offer great deals to riders... all great stuff :beer:

Thanks again for your help I do appreciate it and I know where to go for the Bridgestones.

Clarkie if you are still on this thread are you talking about the new DIABLO SUPER CORSA (sorry about the caps right there)? Which one are you talking about for the all-day low price?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  17. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Stickboy is without a doubt the man when it comes to Bridgestone tires but I am not sure how your local Bridgestone vendor would feel if you bring him Stone's to mount and balance (and ask tech info) if you got them from another Bridgestone vendor in a different part of the country.

I know a lot of tire vendors frown on you buying tires from a different vendor at a cheaper price, it would be different if you raced down south and 'stocked up' on tires from Stickboy when you were there but since you will just be at Loudon this year it is a lot better to start building a relationship with the tire guy (regardless of brand) at your local track.

No offense Stickboy, but I dont think it's cool you sell tires into someone elses area, if you can get Derek the same deal you are offereing him through the Bridstone guy at the track that would be awesome. I dont know how bridgestone has their area's set up, are you the major distributor to the east coast and is the Loudon guy one of your sub-distributors? This is simply a question on my part as i know of a Bridgeston dealer in the SW pulling some dodgey crap and wondered how they worked.

Derek - the 'cheap' Pirelli's are the original 'Supercorsa' not the Diablo or the Pro's, big difference

18. derrickhackman

Thanks again for your input Clarkie ... for sure I need to build a relationship with the guys, and it is great to get the experience of others more valuable that saving a handful of bucks IMHO.

Along the same line as a alpine skis, a tire should have some type rule of thumb, this is probably where the local track rep comes into play. If I am in the low '20s and using warmers then perhaps I can get away with the cheap Pirellis... at some point though I imagine, like an advanced or expert skier, I would have to step up or better use an advanced tire (slick or high-end DOT). That assessment sound about proper?

Tires are one of those things that you can spend boat-loads of cash on and burn them up but really know if you used them to their potential. I suspect that until you start sliding the tire you will only know its limits. But with this is the wear factor and that needs to be considered. Bottom line is the tire should be 100% matched with the bike size and rider ability... again the local rep probably could field that one and I can say from experience that Miles did give me help but yet I probably don't need the SC Pro.

Thanks again for all your input guys :beer:

19. stickboy274

I have our areas protected. I can't go to someone elses track and sell, but we can sell to anybody anywhere. I have been doing this years longer than other Bridgestone reps, so technically they are taking my cust's. I was the ony guy on this coast for at least a year if not 3-4.

I are all independant so we make our own deals with people.

Plus I have out of area guys that want to deal with me because of the service that we offer compared to what their local guy offers.

I prefer people to buy from me, but I will mount anybody's tires, any brand or vendor. I just charge $10/tire to do it.

I also have deals set up with other vendors out of our area for mounting. I help them at tracks we go to, and they help us at tracks they go to.

BTW, could someone give Johnny B a hard time for me when you see him? Put a kick me sign on his back or something. That would be nice.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  20. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

I wasnt acusing you of doing anything bad, I was just more asking how things work :)