1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-Race Tire Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Smilodon, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

My "Sport Touring" mount is a fairly old one, a 1990 Honda CBR1000F. It is generally used as a two-up touring mount with Krauser bags. So, no R6, but no Goldwing either. A little big and heavy, but we still like the curvy roads ;) .

Anyhow, this bike had some great OEM Dunlop tires that were specifically designed for it. They worked so well, that I kept hunting up OEM replacements until they were no longer available.

For the last set of tires, based on the good service from the OEM ones, I checked the Dunlop website for the recommended replacement. I ended up getting a set of Dunlop D220's.

I'm less than happy :down: . Not only were they were not that great feeling, handling-wise, when new, I think I've had track tires that have lasted longer! I just returned from a weekend long ride to find the cords already showing on the rear tire, about a third the mileage I got out of the OEM rubber.

So I'm looking for the wisdom of the WERA board. What recommendations might y'all have for a replacement? The CBR1000 has pretty standard 3.5"X17" and 5.5"X17" wheels, so I should still have lots of options.

Looking for decent tread life with some sporting intent, but not super-sticky (and short-lived) "hypersport" :rolleyes: gumballs...

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Conti Conti-Force.

3. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

Avon M26 plenty of old sizes, modern profile and compounds that handle well and have good longevity

4. gix

gix jigga who?

why not try a dunlop qualifier or some michelin pilot powers? i have had great experiences with them both.

5. gixxerbq52

gixxerbq52 Well-Known Member

The qualifier gets a lot of praise from people I know, I ran a lot of the 205s they are still around, I liked them

6. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

I had Michelin Pilot Roads on my Triumph Sprint RS and loved the way they wore. I think the rounded profile would work well for your two-up riding. There is a new Road out with dual-compound "technology," but they are considerably more money than the original $220/pair Roads. I also ran Conti Road Attacks on my Sprint RS and loved them for the sport part of the sport tour equation. They are a fairly soft tire but have deep rear tread, and they're only about $220/set, as well. I did have trouble with front tire wear (I love to trail brake the beast), but I think that was addressed somewhat in the newer tires, which have reversed the tread pattern.

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I have had good experience with both Avon Storms and Diablo Stradas on the rear of my FJR

I ran it at Barbers with the Stradas

I currently have a Pilot power on the front, but would not reccomend on the rear

8. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thanks for the info folks! :up:

That gives me a "short list" to pick from, depending on what deals come up...

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Didn't your bike come with bias-ply tires from the factory?

Anyhow I would look at the new Pilot Road2. Sticky enough for most agressive street riding but you get the milage too.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

No, it's not that old... ;)

The earlier "Hurricanes" may have, but I don't think so...

11. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

+1 for Pilot Roads . I have those on my Busa now and always ride two up . 3k miles with hardly any noticable wear .

12. Sacrilicious

Sacrilicious Member

I have a set of Dunlop D616's with 4k miles and they still look new, and the grip is as good as I can use on the street. Plus they look like rains which is cool in my book. They are OEM on the Buell Ulysses.