1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitrogen fill for dirtbike shock

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxersmitty, Apr 7, 2014.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I just rebuilt the shock for my YZ125 dirt bike and all I need now is to have the nitrogen put back. I checked with the only shop in town and they don't have the equipment to do the job, so now I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

1. buy the equipment yourself
    2. send it to a qualified suspension shop
    3. throw it away, and buy a new one

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Stop by a wielding shop and see if they can help. They usually have nitrogen. If it is a schrader valve use a tire chuck, if it is a self sealing plug, you need a tool from race tech that uses a needle.
    http://racetech.com/images/TSNN-01-WEB.jpg

4. dcemotorsports

dcemotorsports Well-Known Member

Might want to inject the N2 at the correct pressure.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You need bottle, a GOOD and ACCURATE pressure regulator and either a needle or air chuck, depending on the shock.

And then you need to know what psi that build calls for.

6. gixxersmitty

It's got the valve just like a tire does. I was hoping to pay a tech at the Yamaha shop just to fill it to the correct pressure but they told me they don't even have the equipment to fill it.

7. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

This is a longshot but try some tire dealers since there was a nitrogen-in-the-tire craze awhile back. Some shocks require over 200psi so they may not have the right equipment but worth a shot and as mentioned find out what pressure you need beforehand. Any offroad car shops around? They may have the equipment too.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Replied to your PM. If all you need is a charge, just cover the shipping and I'll take care of it.

9. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

My Nitrogen regulator off of my tank is dang near exactly the same as my Nitrogen gauge at the shock, so that is why I recommended a wielding shop, and I hope that anyone filling a shock would know the pressure needed. I guess I should not assume that "common sense" is common.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. gixxersmitty

Thanks guys. Mike is going to take care of it for me.:up: