1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 500 on the Track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jim Moore, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I have been looking for an SV-650 to use as a street / track bike. I haven't found anything I like, but a Ninja 500 just appeared on CL in my price range. Is that a viable track bike? Are there suspension upgrades available? Rearsets? What is the top speed?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

3. Jim Moore

That link didn't work? Is it me? I tried a search and found a few 1-2 post threads. Is there a bigger Ninja 500 thread?

Thanks,

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

try searching ex500

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

6. Jim Moore

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

unless there are a lot of people to race against with the EX500, buy the SV.

An EX500 will top out around 115, the front suspension has zero adjustment without pulling the springs, cutting new spacers, and turning the screw on cartridge emulators. On the SV, you can at least adjust preload without pulling emulators.

The stock rear shock on the SV probably isn't great, but it will at least be newer than the EX's... Fox and Penske shocks for the EX are a bit harder to find than SV parts. And that's probably the bigger deal: performance parts for the SV will be much more plentiful. Rearsets, clip-ons, tire options... The SV definitely has the edge there.

8. Jim Moore

Thanks for the info. The bike would just be for street / track right now. No racing at this point. My main concern with the 500 on the track is getting ass-packed by a big bike as I struggle along at 115 mph at the end of a long straight. Your points about performance parts are also swaying my decision. I think I'm going to keep looking for an SV650 unless a nearly-free ex500 falls in my lap.

Thanks again, guys.

9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Haven't see you in a while Jim! I sat out about 2 years, but been back a few times in last few months.

You still doing Monday's only?

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

There are nearly free ex500s posted every so often in the vintage section. I have both an EX and a SV, to me the EX is essentially an ill handling weak SV. As far as being on the track with other bikes at trackdays neither one has presented any real issues. If you race an EX in D and Clubman you can drive people on 250s insane as you blat by on the straight and then park and get w i d e in the corners (I'm telling you, they really like it, they will wave and tell you that you are number 1 over and over :D).

11. Jim Moore

I've taken a few years off, but I'm looking to get back into it. Goddam kids cost so much that I gotta try to keep it on the cheap as much as possible.

How you been? Tide is looking good at this point. I know you're excited about that.

12. Jim Moore

I ge tthat a lot on the track! Sounds like I'd fit right in.

I'll keep an eye on the vintage section. THanks.

13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

:crackup: at the kids comment, none here..... but taking your word! :D

Yes, excited with the Tide so far! Still games to be played though. :cool: