Ninja 400 question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Quick6RR, Aug 2, 2022 at 5:00 PM.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Hey, just looking for a bit of advice.

I've been doing track days for a few years and I've recently got the bug to go racing. I attended the Ed Bargy racing school in preparation, and other than that I've just been spinning laps at the track. I want to get more methodical in my training. I currently ride a Kawi 636 that was raced by the previous owner and has all the bells and whistles. I know that I need to start focusing on improving corner entry speed and trail braking as these are areas I suck.

My question is, should I stay on my 636 and just keep practicing, or transition to a smaller bike to develop these skills at slower speeds?

Or is there no benefit at all to downsizing at this point? I would likely downsize to a Ninja 400.

Thanks.

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

You'll get people on both sides of this fence. Personally, I did a similar path as you, doing TDs on my 675 for a couple years then getting to racing. I'm sure there's something to learning some skills on a small bike, but I love riding what I have.

IMO, you have a race ready bike and years of experience on it. I'd ride what you have.

3. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Thanks,

also, when I said downsize I only mean temporarily. I'd keep both the 636 and the 400.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You need a structured cirriculum like a Champ or Ken Hill school. Why? Because they give you the actual fundamentals to learn then you wont waste time at a track day circulating vs using each session to work on 1 or 2 things per then trying to put them all together. You get actual reference material and a score sheet so you can write your thoughts in after each session as well as tire pressures, gearing, weather, data notes, etc. You can also look at a track map and mark each corner with what gear you are in, entry & exit apex, etc.
    Plus he offers a wealth of info on his 88+ podcasts that might just make what he covers in the course... click.

Shenanigans likes this.