1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 300 brake options

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MoeFaux, Aug 12, 2022.

1. MoeFaux

MoeFaux Knee Puck Enthusiast

I'm sure there are plenty of you who've raced and tracked the Li'l Ninja, so I'd like to know what your favorite bang-for-the-buck brake upgrades are.

I'm already running aftermarket lines, but the MC and caliper are stock. I just wore through whatever pads the previous owner had on and swapped in some fresh SBS Dual Carbons.

What do you guys like for pads?
    Are the upgraded master cylinders worth the investment?
    What about those SVRacing brackets that let you mount up the Tokicos from the SV1000?

2. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I run Vesrah RJL pads with stock master cylinder, stock caliper, stock rotor and stainless brake line.

I personally wouldn't spend money on upgrading anything else with the exception being the rotor. The stock rotor seems fine to me in terms of performance but they tend to warp over time.

If you're coming off of a larger bike, remember that to get lap times on these smaller bikes, you won't be braking nearly as hard. For me, brake feel is far more important than outright stopping power and that feel is achieved pretty well with the stock mc and caliper stainless line and good pads.

I would be afraid that going to SV calipers would have me over-braking in a lot of corners.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I ended up with EBC gpfax on mine because the pads the previous owner used had glazed over terribly in just a few sessions. The ebc rep kept my old pads as a trophy.
    I hadnt looked at rotor options but if there was a full floating option Id go for that. The less parasitic drag the better. The rear could stand to be lightened as well.

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I put a Brembo stock size full floating rotor up front with the Galfer race pads that Spears sells with the stock m/c and stainless brake line and that's way more than needed! The only reason I put the Brembo on was the stock one had a light warp and the Brembo is just cool. Spears stocks the rotor for $300.

5. MoeFaux

MoeFaux Knee Puck Enthusiast

I haven't tried the GPFAX yet on any of my bikes. I heard they eat up rotors something terrible. Has that been your experience?

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The track(s) the 300 gets ridden on dont have real heavy braking areas so I cant comment on rotor durability.
    I drag the front on thru pit & the hot pit lane to get them up to temp. Ive never used them in the wet either but regardless I had not noticed any unusual wear from the pads.

7. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

r6 stock brembo master sv bracket with a cbr cailper nice thing now uses same pads as my 636.
    the 4 pot is a much more robust brake easy to one finger stop.
    Fyi if your in a pinch for pads the rears are the same as the front with stock cailpers :P:(hey i was in a pinch what can i say)
    I am still on the oem rotor no issue yet

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

SBS DC aren’t the most powerful pad. They are cheap, super friendly to rotors, and wear quickly. But if you want more power, you can switch to many other pads.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I use the GPFAX and like ‘em. I also have a Brembo RCS15 on my bike and really like it versus the stock MC. Of course, it comes at a cost and really isn’t necessary on the 300. The stock MC is deceptively weak as it has less travel than the brembo and an overall firmer feel that doesn’t translate to stronger braking performance.