1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb question: prep track gixxer

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by ovd, Oct 9, 2010.

1. LongDogRacing

LongDogRacing Well-Known Member

OVD,

I'm in Springfield, OH. Come on up and take a look at my '06 GSXR600. Everything is prepped on it-- needs nothing but a new owner to have some fun!

I'll even help you out with some trackdays at Mid-O next year!

--Justin
    [email protected]

2. kpw

kpw Well-Known Member

It also depends on what you are trying to occomplish.Just having some fun on the track or working towards becoming a licensed racer.All the advice from this forum is very good and based on expierence. I would definetely not buy a new bike. This may sound bad but you really want to buy somebody else time and money. The best way to have fun is to go to the track, turn the key and hit the start button.No messing around, you need seat time on a quality bike, which you can definetely find on this forum. Also FZR400Tony makes a very good point.The sv 650 is a great bike and very easy to ride and lots of fun.There is a bunch of them on here, some are really set up and some are more mild. I was away from the track for 15 yrs. and just came back about 2 months ago.I bought a 2002 SV 650 from this forum. Never heard it run or seen it in person(just pics), talked to the guy on the phone alot and asked questions.Had it shipped to my house and hit the track.If you take your time and ask questions you will be fine. When you get to the track , check your ego at the door, remember every body has to start somewhere and the people at the track are some of the best people you will ever meet.Seat time is what your there for let the rest work itself out. If you have any questions that I could help with don't hesitate, PM me and I would be happy to help any way I can. Good luck , hope to see you out on the track next year.

Kevin

3. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Get on www.assfaultjunkies.com, the majority of them race and their based out of Cincy. Prez will be able to help you out.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Nice offer!

5. ovd

ovd Active Member

Well, for once in my lifetime :))) I listened for an advise and here's what I ended up with: '04 RC51, 4k miles, clean title, Penske shock, Vortex clipons, rearsets, race bodywork, Yosh pipes, GPR, chain, K&N. This whole joy cost me $4.8k including two pit bulls and a box of spare parts and ebay-able stock parts. The bike is also street legal: a small light is attached (removes in 2 mins), mirrors are 4 bolts away and modified rear end (removes in 2 mins) carries a plate. Do you mind if I brag a bit with a couple of shitty photos? :) Now, only once small nuance left... learn to ride the damn thang! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advise, people.

6. nice pickup! long live the twins!

7. NoMoKrash

NoMoKrash Member

Nice ride. I wouldn't worry too much about learning to ride it before your next track day. I picked mine up the day before my first ttrack day and signed up for novice. The only problem I had was with the GP shift. If you are going to have to deal with that a little seat time might not be a bad idea, but after a session or two you will be used to the bike.

8. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Man it seems ego gets the better of everyone. Who in their right mind hops on a rc51 with little experience and says hey lets go to the track. I cam from the dirtbike word and am a pretty experienced rider. I purchased and sv650 and my good friend purchased a f4i. We have done all our trackdays together and will be racing next season. The first few days he was loads faster then me just pure bike power. Once I learned my corner speed and just how to ride I am now about 7-8 seconds faster on every lap. I pass guys on gsxr1000 600 rc51 whatever. You gotta learn how to go fast where it counts before you hop on a 1000. But thats my rant. Have fun nice bike. Gtta love the twins.

9. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Picking up an older litre twin isnt much different then a new 600.... they still have less then 130 HP. And the guy did say he owns a beemer, and has had it to the track, just don't want to chance wrecking it.

10. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

I know wha your saying and everyone is different. From day one i wanted to race. And its proven every motogp race and WSBK race a small displacement motorcycle is the quickest way to become fast. You learn how to ride then you increase power. Thats all im saying. At track days ive been to 90% of bikes are 600-1000's. Rarely do you see 250's or sv or gp bikes.