1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand

Discussion in 'General' started by chrysta1, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just for arguements' sake...I can stop every two hours and take a walk versus being stuck in an aluminum tube in a seat designed for a 10 year old kid....I know it's my issue but I hate flying anymore. Now if someone wants to give me 1st class money.....:moon:

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I can understand this. I flew to New Zealand a couple of times from London both via LA. The first leg is around 10 hours, the second 12 hours. On my second trip there was problem with the plane as we taxied out, they took us back to the gate to fix it but kept everyone on board, that lasted another 3 hours. All that combined with a 5 hour layover made it a really enjoyable couple of days.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

That's pretty tough coming from London. I think British Air has a non stop to Sydney now so that would be easier at least. When we went we flew Cincinnati to San Fran and had a 7 hour layover so we went into the city and had lunch with my wife's sister. Then to LA for another 2 hour layover and then 14 1/2 hours to Sydney. Was a long day but........ thank god for pharmaceuticals!

And motofun.... you can always take a walk on those giant planes. I'd get up and stand for 20 mins or so because we had the very front row of econ+ where there is about 6 feet of empty space in front of your seat.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Da fug Mang! Ain't dat da Murican way? :flag:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can get out of a car. I can stop a car and walk around any time I like. The seats in my cars are actually comfortable. I can stop and get food and drink whenever I want for a decent price. Do I need to go on?

6. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, great trip, we should have stayed on the south island given the short time we were there.
    The campervan rental was a great idea. Helicopter flight to Fox Glacier was cool. If I had this to do over I would have Picked up the Campervan in Queens town and returned it to Queenstown. One week was too short to do the Pickup in Christchurch and drop off in Auckland. Definitely will try to go back, maybe rent a motorcycle next time.

We did visit the Hobbiton.

gt#179 likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If I may ask, what was all-in full cost from start to finish.

NZ is a bucket list trip for the missus & I. but so are some other places.

Trying to get a more precise the cost/desire ratio.

Curious if the dollar's strength affected things and how.

8. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

The Campervan (RV) Rental for Sunday pickup to Saturday drop off was ~ 2000 USD, which included the Ferry From the Picton(South Island) to Wellington(North Island), full insurance and drop of with empty fuel tanks and full wastewater tanks. Picked up the Campervan in Queenstown and dropped it off in Auckland. Campsites were anywhere from free to about 30 USD. Cooking many meals in the camper saved money, pretty much only bought lunch in restaurants. the cost of food is about the same as US, both in Restaurants and grocery stores. I think it could be done at lower cost with a rental car and hotels, but the Campervan was nice.

http://www.maui-rentals.com/nz/en/motorhome-hire/4-berth-campervan-beach

I would consider a smaller campervan https://www.jucy.co.nz/our-vehicles/camper-vans/jucy-condo/ next time.

Airfare from US to Auckland, free, a friend works for the airline and had free tickets.
    Auckland to Christchurch~ 200 USD per person.
    Helicopter to Fox Glacier 200 USD per person.
    Saturday in Auckland Sheridan used Marriot points. cost, if we had paid, is similar cost to US.
    Sunday night Airline picked up the hotels since the flight was canceled.

Fuel cost for the day we drove all day was 70 USD.

When I go back if I only have a week will only do the south island, probably rent a motorcycle.

USD to NZ, 100 NZ is ~ 66 USD.

Dan

9. Ryan600RR

Ryan600RR Well-Known Member

Do the Tongariro Crossing on the north island. It’s an EPIC 12 mile hike. It starts with a climb up Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom in LOTR), then past another red cratered volcanoe, past emerald green and neon blue lakes, down meadows, and ends in a rain forest. All climates on a hike. Epic.