1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new vehicle question..

Discussion in 'General' started by rcmike917, Aug 23, 2005.

1. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

I’m picking up my new Nissan truck today and they’re trying to sell me a Commodore Coatings
    package for the vehicle. Basically the dealer preps the entire vehicle(truck is black) with this coating and it protects it against acid rain, rust on the undercarriage etc. They’re telling me the paints not going to be good enough. Cost is just under a grand. I haven’t bought a new vehicle in over ten years so this game is new to me. Anyway, it sounds like bs and I was wondering if anyone here could verify if this stuff is worth it or not.

Thanks

Mike

2. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

ITs all profit for the dealer.

Ziebart has the same thing when I was getting my rino liner installed they wanted 750 for it.

I talked them down to 250 just to see how it works so far nothing has stuck to the paint that didnt come off with a hand wash.

Just remember on black paint...car washes are bad,hand washing is almost a must unless you dont mind the scratches in the clearcoat showing.

Also after you wash it..and you drive down the road you will have water spots down the side from mirrors and door handles...I know its picky but I hate water spots on a black truck.

My saving grace was the black nighborhood in Indy that has a million guys in the vans with the pressure washers sitting in the parking lots waiting for people to stop.They wash my truck twice a week:beer:

3. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Titan?

http://www.titantalk.com

4. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

15 years in the delaership end, sales, good luck getting a claim done if you ever do have a problem. For the money no way.

5. gixxerfreak03

gixxerfreak03 Well-Known Member

It is all hype.. Just say "NO"..The guarantee is not worth the paper it is printed on. Big Scam and nothing more!!!

6. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: new vehicle question..

Nope..Frontier. I just couldn't afford the Titan. New house..trying to race etc...

Thanks for the replies. I figured the coating was a rip off. I'd never heard of "needing" something extra like that to keep my paint from falling off. The way the sales guy was talking..the paint was just going to melt off. Its amazing what these guys will say.

Mike

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A good coat of wax once a year will do the same thing or better - don't waste your money. There are some really good waxes out there too for black or dark trucks that keeps them looking nice and shiny and fill in the normal light scratches. The Meguires XT (I think that's it, X somehting) works great and isn't too expensive.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

:stupid:

I have had the same black truck for 5 years and it still looks great. It get's a hand wax once every 3 months and once a week I take it through the wash. It's black so not much you can do about keeping everything from showing but use a good quality wax and you'll be golden. I tried several different one's but thus far my truck likes Zymol the best.

Meguire's has a compund that you can use a clay bar with.. Never done it but supposed to get decent results

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah the quick detailer spray works well with clay to get off deposits and other icky stuff.