1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New truck mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by RonR, Apr 11, 2021.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

What is the black grease crap on the frame. It’s not every where and almost exclusively on top. I haven’t worked in a dealership since the 80s and back then it was as clean under a vehicle as on top. Chevy Silverado it that matters. I was installing AMP boards and got way more wiped out than anyone ever should working on a new truck. C5201E9A-8A8E-46D0-B7DF-6650E9FC55B9.jpeg

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's grease and road grime

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Same anytime I touch the 300TD

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Some sort of grease at assembly
    Definitely not road grime
    50 miles on truck.
    Most of the undercarriage is spotless. Just certain areas on top of the frame F37E9F04-93B8-4F37-BDB5-8F1F1117624B.jpeg

5. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

My AT4 is the same way.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Gm has had that waxy type frame crap for years and years, not sure if thats the same stuff, doesn't really sound like it but that shit is nasty too.

7. noles19

Hmm gotta be some sort of assembly grease then

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It looks like structural grease.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

GM coats their frames in that crap. My ‘06 Silverado’s frame is coated in it, too. Futile.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Usually not that thin and messy. It’s some sort of rust prevention they put on at the factory. It’s normally dry by the time I see the trucks though.

11. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Like a few others have said, its a sort of rust prevention. Im an upfitter, and I mostly work on brand new vehicles. GMs are the worst to run wires under because of that crap. I always get covered in it, and it doesn’t wash off very easy.

BigBird likes this.
  12. noles19

Isn't it Ford that a bunch of the new trucks rusted right after bring delivered?

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The RAM trucks up here in the salt belt rusted like crazy about 15 years ago.

Story I heard was they weren't treating the metal properly before it went off to the paint booth.

Lots of 15 year old Rams running around with both wheel wells rotted out.

14. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I used to work in a body shop. In 2015, I saw a bunch of 2012 4-door F-150s come in with rotted out cab corners. Now if you look at a new Ford truck, they have plastic caps on the cab corners.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

To cover up the rust I assume.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

On that Aluminum body they have.......

Phl218 likes this.
  17. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I haven’t seen any of the new Ford bodies corroding yet, but I have seen it on GMs. Its really common on the hatches of the early 2000s Tahoes and Suburbans. Also common on the hoods of the 90s big Buicks and Oldsmobiles. The crap that they put on the roads in MN will eat through aluminum.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Brother in laws 2500 disintegrated.

19. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol this post reminds me of the movie Fargo when he was trying to sell something like that!

20. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I see a LOT of vehicles around Brew Waukee with rotted thru well wells and the undercarriages too!