1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toy hauler cost

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Dec 9, 2015.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

What's a realistic number to pay for a new Momentum350M Toy hauler OTD?

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

3. cdog

cdog Active Member

4. All of it.

5. omatter34

I have not looked at the Tesla. I saw the Momentum line at the local dealer and really liked it. I will have to see who carries the Tesla around me, so that I can check it out.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

new its typically assumed 20-25% off MSRP. I dont know what kinda margins are built into those things but sometimes you'll see the exact same models getting wildly different asking prices in different regions. TX & AZ seem to have dealers that price units to move!

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Got mine from a place in Michigan that was $5K cheaper than anyone else.
    Lakeshore RV I think... Volume dealer I guess.

8. omatter34

What did you end up getting Travis? A Momentum?

9. omatter34

Thanks Turbo. I am near Tampa, so we have Lazy Days here which is a pretty big dealer. I actually bought my current one from them, but had no idea on markup for the larger units.

10. The larger units have A LOT of markup. A $70k unit might have as much as a $25k markup.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Jon Foy has a Tesla 5th wheel hauler. It is REALLY nice. Big $$ too.

12. omatter34

Greg, I saw his at the last Palm Beach round. Definitely nice and bigger than I would want to go. With the family growing by another member recently, we are considering upgrading to a 5th wheel, but not that large. Otherwise we have been very happy with the XLR.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. t11ravis

Raptor 300mp
    I think we looked at the Momentums, they were nice too. Any of those are family friendly for sure, they'll be happy.
    Just don't go above what your truck can handle like I did... :oops:

14. omatter34

Okay. Pretty sure I saw that one, but wasn't sure if you had upgraded again. I got a 2015 RAM 2500 Megacab 4x4 this year, but I do need to do some research on tow ratings before I get too deep into looking.

15. t11ravis

Yep, pretty sure you saw it. It's the same one we got 3 yrs. ago.
    I made the mistake of listening to salesman and not really doing the math myself. Once I finally hit the scale I found both truck and trailer were considerably heavier than advertised, like 15-20%. Fluids are heavy apparently!

Long story short, I just bought a dually last week.

16. omatter34

So...for making this decision, how do you really do the math?

And Chaotic, don't you tow a massive 5th wheel at mach 1 with your Chevy 2500?

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

My '04 Ram 2500 CCSB has a B&W slider hitch and I still managed to crush (well, kiss is more like it) my cab corners with my 5th wheel. A mega cab would only be worse.

I would also not go over a [advertised] 2,000lb pin weight with a SRW.

18. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

I have a 2015 Momentum 350M and love it. Check the Grand Design owners group on FB. Lots of info on there if you search.

19. omatter34

I could be totally misinformed, but isn't pin weight typically higher on Toy haulers while unloaded than loaded? My understanding was that having some tanks behind the axles and then loading the garage would actually lessen the pin weight. Is this correct?

20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

No. You're just splitting hairs at that point. I was in your position several years ago before buying mine. I've had mine weighed several times on CAT scales, and the pin weight has never varied a drastic amount. If it comes down to you being that worried over a 100lbs plus or minus, your tow rig is simply too small for the trailer. Period.

Look at 5th wheels/goosenecks and look at bumper pulls. Comparing a similar length trailer, look at the axle location. You'll see that the axles are further back on the frame on 5th wheels/goosenecks. Imagine a see-saw at the play ground. Pivot is in the middle, right? So two kids weighing 50lbs each would make the see saw sit level. What if that pivot point was say, 3/4 to the end of the board (This would be the axles of a 5th wheel pushed further back on the frame). How much more weight will you have to add to the board on the short side to off set the same 50lb kid sitting on the long side? A hell of a lot more than 50 pounds.

That's why pin weight difference doesn't chance much when it comes to the garage being loaded or not. And what extra weight is back there gets off set by all the other shit that gets packed into a 5th wheel, front of the axles. You'll never see the holding tanks rearward of the axles. Manufacturers fudge weights (empty, pin, etc) all the time. That pin weight will only get heavier.