1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to owning a bike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cora, Aug 5, 2019.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ahhh didn’t know that they were FI. Sorry for the carb response OP.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can get replacement internals for $15 to $60 depending on how much you want to renovate. Bit of time involved in taking the old assembly apart and reassembling with a new core pump but it can be done at the kitchen table while eating dinner. :D

L8RSK8R likes this.
  3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, I'm wrong on FI pump years. 98/99 years are FI.

418 and gapman789 like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I could have sworn they started in mid 96 with FI.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

96/97 are carbs, 98/99 are FI

418, gapman789, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  6. Cora

Cora if you aint first your last

So I got it to start for a couple seconds but wont stay running. THERE IS HOPE. Where should I go from there. The carbs were cleaned by previous owner when trying to fix the bike.

nd4spd likes this.
  7. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Have you actually had the carbs off? What kind of fuel was in the tank and for how long?

If it’s ethanol based fuel that sat in there for a long time the jets could be clogged again. You could also have a vacuum leak somewhere.

How did it idle when it started up? Fast/high revving or lower?

8. Cora

No I did not take them off myself. The fuel that was in the tank wasnt to bad it was just starting to separate. Nothing gummy or anything came out. It did not rev high just tryed to idle and stalled out.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It sounds like bad fuel combined with clogged pilot jets. Drain the tank, new gas, and test again. If it is better but not great, then clean (or replace) the pilot jets. If that doesn't cure it, then thoroughly clean all of the air circuits in the carbs.

nd4spd likes this.
  10. Cora

It has brand new gas I'n it that's how I got it to actually fire

11. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Did you start it up a few times? If not, do that and see if there’s improvement as it runs more and more. It’ll take a bit to burn up what’s in the carbs.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if the previous owner was a good mechanic, the bike would be running. don't trust anything they did or said they did.

Steeltoe and nd4spd like this.
  13. Cora

Yeah pulled the carbs today and found a gasket sealer on the bowl gaskets. Previous owner knew nothing. Cleaned everything and did what was needed for the carbs put it back together and now for some reason with a fully charged battery it turns over then just stops. Did I mess something up?

14. Cora

Cleaned the carbs put everything back. Fully charged battery. Everything was working before I pulled the carbs. Now I go to start it and it turns over 3 times then just stops. Help please

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It almost sounds like the engine is hydrolocked. Pull the sparkplugs and crank it over to see if there is too much gas in the cylinders. Check to see if the plug ends are all wet or if there is anything on them like oil. If it cranks just fine without the plugs, let it air dry for a bit, reinstall the plugs, and try again. My SRAD was notorious for flooding the cylinders if it didn't start right away.

16. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Based on your other thread about oil being “everywhere” the consensus is you overfilled the crankcase with oil.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE THE COILS before doing this. Second thought, get a fire extinguisher close by, but not too close, you want to be out of the fire zone before getting to it.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

And park right next to a car in front of your place. Go inside and wait. Should be lit right up