1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to me truck time

Discussion in 'General' started by splyn, Aug 4, 2016.

1. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

I am looking at purchasing a new-to-me Chevrolet Suburban as a family truckster, but need some input from the beeb as to which direction to go.

2013 with 34,000 miles
    or
    2015 with 42,000 miles

prices are similar and neither has a warranty anymore, so that is not a factor. is a newer vehicle with more miles preferable to an older vehicle with fewer miles?

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It all depends on the maintenance/abuse. My "new" 2000 Nissan Frontier I bought a month ago has 217,000 miles on it and it runs great. I've seen cars with less than 10,000 miles that had been beaten to shit.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Depends on the price also. My parents test drove a 2009 Tahoe yesterday and the dealer wouldn't budge off the 30K price tag.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

the 2013 at 34k is not a high mileage vehicle. The 2015 is. That said, if the condition is relatively equal, the 8k difference in not huge..i'd go for the newer one if it has similar options. Check the carfax and make sure the newer one hasn't been wrecked.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's a used Chevy. I would have stopped there.

britx303, JBall, bleacht and 3 others like this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Sequoia

7. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

I looked at those (especially because it has the same motor as my Tundra), but not enough luggage room with all rows being occupied. Im pretty OCD about wet luggage so i dont want a vehicle that requires me putting the luggage on the outside.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Minivan

BigBird likes this.
  9. Tristan

Not many choices in this category really- between the 2 I'd go 2015. Do you really need an SUV? Sprinter or Transit perhaps?

10. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

Minivan: the wife hates them more than me.
    Sprinter or Tansit have too low WAFs.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Diesel Excursion

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still want one.

On the original question - which one do you like better? Not enough difference for me to worry about the miles so I'd go with the one that is pimped more or I like the color better. All things being equal I'd lean towards the newer especially since I don't do enough miles commuting to worry about so it'd be back to normal miles soon enough.

13. Tristan

translation please?

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Wife Acceptance Factor

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

At least you are not thinking about a Porsche 914...:D

16. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

I've had a number of them, expect transmission issues at 70-100k miles.

joec likes this.
  17. Tristan

That would explain my (blissful) ignorance

BigBird likes this.
  18. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

My 01 Tahoe had just under 100k when I traded it in. Very little issues with it and zero issues with the transmission.

My current Suburban is an '11 and it has about 55K on the clock with no issues except the vinyl on the side of the drivers seat (leather) started to crack but the dealer replaced that under warranty. Other than brakes and oil changes, no problems.

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

2015 w/42k is probably mostly highway miles
    2013 w/ 34k is probably a city runner
    In my mind the stop and go of city driving is way harder on a vehicle than the highway miles so the higher milage vehicle would be in better shape. I would go with the 2015.

20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Isn't the 2015 the 'new' body style and the '13 the 'old' one?