1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to endurance

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Hawk413, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Hawk413

Hawk413 Well-Known Member

I looking to do the 6 hr. endurance race at Grattan in July. I am currently licensed in CCS an an amateur with 6 race weekends (generally running 3 sprint races per weekend) on an 03 SV650. The bike is SS legal in CCS and appears to be Super Stock legal from my reading of the rule book.

This would be my first attempt at endurance racing, I'm looking for advice on how to make it a good one. Could some of the SV riders chime in on things like, can you make 6 hours on one rear tire, can you make 90 min on a stock tank? Anybody remember their first endurance race and maybe some things that went wrong or not what you expected?

Thanks

2. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Your refering to SV 650 and Grattan only? If so, you can do the whole 6 hours on 1 set of tires and go ahead and plan to do 1 hour on stock tank. It gets so hot at Grattan and the air flow is to min, you almost sufficate after 45 min. You'll be fine with what you got.

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You can have have a handle like "Hawk" and get on an SV. That is sacrilegeous!:Poke:

You are now with the Dark Side!

4. Hawk413

You are so right, I just got tired of watching everybody else run away from my Hawk on the straights. I've still got the Hawk and probably always will. I might do some vintage stuff with it once I've got a WERA license. Of course I'll have to hang on tight when the FZR600's try to suck me off the back of my Hawk on the straights there too.

5. Hawk413

Thanks, I didn't think I could make 90 min on a stock tank, I know an hour will be easy but I might be pushing it back in after about 75 or 80. I just picked up a third rear wheel so I'll probably have a spare rear in addition to the rain anyway but I was hoping to do the whole race on one tire. I've done some F40 with CCS where we run the lightweight and heavyweight (750), expert and amateur together so I'm used to the disparity of speed.

I'm really looking forward to this.

6. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Have you gotten a team of riders together yet? and do you have support staff for tire changes, refilling gas, crash damage repair?

7. Hawk413

I'm working on that right now, I've got myself, I think, and one other rider so far. I know some good guys for pit work but need to contact them and see who can make it. This is quite an effort in terms of organization. I hope to show up with 3 riders, 3 crew and 1 scorer. As stated above I will have fresh rubber up front, 2 fresh rears and a set of rains. Other than the standard stuff for race day what might I not be thinking of for endurance?

8. Sixx22

Sixx22 Well-Known Member

lots of tywraps and duct tape!!!

9. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

In endurance there all kinds of teams, "4 guys and a bike" up to almost factory teams. Check the rulebook for whats required/allowed, but you can (within reason) have more or less as you want. Wants may include (or not): tire racks, tire quick change (if allowed for the class), extra fuel cans (or quick fills), some teams even have spare bikes (either to put parts off, or if damage is too bad, replace the orginal bike. There are much more items, that someone may talk about.

10. Hawk413

On the license application what is an associate member? In the rule book I see that if you hold certain licenses you can participate in 2 WERA events. I don't see CCS in that list so I assume that means that I will have to buy a license for this endurance race.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You will have to buy a full license. The associate membership is to get you on the mailing list and support WERA.

12. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

:confused: Hmmmm. I was expecting loads of insightful information on endurance racing, like packing the trailer, how and when to have the next rider ready to go.
    How about at least good advice on how to find the fine line between being sufficiently hydrated and peeing every 30 minutes. While I'm asking, how do you get the urine smell out of your leathers?

13. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

pussys! we did full 2 hour stints last time we were there!:Poke: what can i say...8 1/2 gallons goes a LONG way...:clap:

14. vcr12 pit crew

ther should always be someone with leathers on and ready to go "just in case"...
    your crew that in on the wall working the pit board has the power during the race..listen to your board, if it says come in, do it, it's probibly for a reason and if it says stay out, stay out. you will have to figure out some sort of system by the time the race starts so you have enough time to prepare for the pit stop. it mite be best if you went to an endurence race first to see how it works? Good Luck!

15. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

How many hours did you ride??????
    :Poke:
    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    :moon: :moon: :moon:

16. paul

paul just fast enough

How many hours did you ride??????
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

:stupid:

17. vcr12 pit crew

i didn't ride any..paul and kevin did...i just sat on the wall for 6 HOURS...what about you?:Poke:

18. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

I only rode @ 1:20, team orders. :D

The last year I rode With Team Chicago, I rode team Chicago's bike for 1:20, got a 15-20 min rest, then hopped on team Bears bike for another 48 mins. When I came out on Team Bears bike, I caught up to Paul, and outbroke him into 1. :p

Of course he passed me back a few laps later. :D

19. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

wooooooooo your bad!!! :Poke: Dip Shit, I know how far 8 gallons go, looks like someone already made you confirm your pussy ass didnt even get on the bike. :clap:

20. MotorX007

MotorX007 Well-Known Member

What would be the license cost if I currently have a MoM license from MMP and want to race the WERA Endurance race in June at MMP.