1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New spinal cord research

Discussion in 'General' started by 88/532, Nov 13, 2021.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just spit beer on my pants.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

There's been many hopeful developments for a spinal cord injury for many years. I've only been paralyzed 8.5 years and I've seen many. Ask those that have been paralyzed 25+ years and they say a cure for an SCI has been in the media where they always say within 5 or 10 years we will have a solution. Then, NADA. I'm not being cynical, just a realist. I truly hope I'm wrong though. And, if they need a human for a trial, sign me up.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I knew before I got out of the hospital that there wouldn't be a cure in my lifetime. I have barely paid attention to any of those developments other than to hope that I will be part of the last generation for which there wasn't a fix, and that people who get fucked after they shove me into the oven will have a better than 50% chance of recovery. Other than that, it's just like watching SpaceX to me. Cool, but doesn't affect me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    cha0s#242, ducnut, CBRRRRR999 and 2 others like this.
  6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’m wondering what the implications are for traumatic brain injury

I’m also skeptical that this will be a viable option for people who have been paralyzed for some time. I gather that this therapy works on mice that are still in the healing process

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That’s a perfectly understandable mindset, but I hope you are wrong.

The utterly incomparable inconvenience that I've had to deal with the past couple of months with a foot surgery has really brought home how much I didn't appreciate full mobility until I lost it.

Someday we will figure it out. I hope you can participate in it.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know that I could find the motivation to go through the rehab at this point. Although the prospect of regaining control of when and how I exit might be very tempting.

9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive got my fingers crossed for y'all. Between Brad Baker and the kid from CA injured at the peoria TT my heart was really worried about the AFT guys.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It'd depend on the probable outcome of rehab I'd guess. You've still got plenty of stupid things to do in life if you could get out there and do them.

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I believe your talking about Dominic Colindres

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

May I ask your level of paralysis?
    I’ve always wondered (respectfully) and never wanted to just bring it up, but this thread seems fitting.

obviously tell me to fuck off if it’s not something to discuss.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

C5 level. It was never a secret. There was a play-by-play thread when I was in the hospital. Fuck off anyway.

L8RSK8R and Shenanigans like this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Gladly fucking off. I think that happened prior to my arrival or else I missed it.

I understand your feelings about it all especially how much time, but I do hope to see you walk again. For what that’s worth.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

To be clear, I only said that because you gave me the opportunity. It's never bothered me to answer questions.

L8RSK8R, prm, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  16. Robby-Bobby

After reading, are you able to move arms, just not close hands? I understand that all are different in nature.

I see Brad Baker often and he uses his hands and drives a car and he has a cool pit cycle thing.

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Just as an FYI, no two spinal cord injuries are alike. I met a C level quadraplegic who could move nothing but feel everything. Met another who could walk but feel nothing. Met a fellow T level para who had full movement but no feeling below his waist. He joked about how he always had to watch his feet so he wouldn't trip over them and fall. Then there are those that one whole side is paralyzed but the other is fine. It all depends on where the cord injury is, not just the level. Inner cord, outer cord, a particular side of the cord, etc. I wouldn't wish a spinal cord injury on my worst enemy. Not having movement is only about 20% of all the shit you have to deal with. Not saying that for sympathy, just being real. Papa knows more than I do.

ducnut, CBRRRRR999, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  18. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israe...aralyzed-mice-walking-human-trial-in-3-years/

David Boxenhorn

@davidboxenhorn

Not just for the spinal chord. This technology can be used to regenerate *any* cell. "We separate the fat cells from other materials such as collagen and sugars, and reprogram the cells using genetic engineering methods, so they can ‘become’ any cell in the body"

50Joe likes this.
  19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

We can only hope...

I was in a bad motorcycle accident in September. I was passing a slow car on my DRZ400 and he turned left in front of me, no turn signals. Woke up in bushes and a tree. Couldn't feel my legs.
    End up L1 L2 burst fracture with and incomplete spinal cord injury. Got a nice airplane ride (Guardian Flight) from Houghton Michigan to St. Paul MN. Surgery next day to fuse me from T10 to L5.
    I can walk with a walker for now... :)

ducnut, 50Joe and SpeedWerks Racing like this.
  20. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Walking is overrated, hopefully they come out with a way to regain bowel and bladder function in my lifetime. I'll take that first
    I'm a incomplete C 5/6 injury

ducnut, Shenanigans and 50Joe like this.