1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ride for the kiddo

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Sep 2, 2020.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Got this for my son today, Razor MX-350. $80 from a guy at work. Looks like the batteries are toast (bloated and deformed) and some corrosion on the the terminals connecting to the batteries. Its electric, with a rear brake. I believe its stop and go (no progressive throttle) but it's a good start for him. We're both pumped. Cant wait for the batteries to get here.

Screenshot_20200902-223551_Gallery.jpg

G 97, Senna and Ducti89 like this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Servicing the bike on the living room table. It's good you are setting a good example for your son so early in life. :--)

Where did you source the batteries? They appear to be similar to ones for small consumer UPS devices. You can usually find those at a decent price on eBay.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    BigBird likes this.
  3. lopitt85

Somebody has to show these kids the right way to do things, lol.

I found some at monsterscooterparts.com. Same physical size as the original batteries but larger capacity.

Screenshot_20200902-231412_Chrome.jpg

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

5. lopitt85

Thanks for the link. I see they also offer a pair of the larger capacity batteries for only $40 for the pair. Looks line Walmart is getting my $40

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Awesome....he will love that.

7. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

My boys got that exact little bike for Christmas 2018. It still runs like a champ on the original battery and will go quite a long time on a charge. AWESOME little bike and an incredible starter bike, especially when you live in a suburban neighborhood area. There is no suspension on it, but you wouldn't ride it anywhere where you really need it. And it's all but silent so doesn't make me feel like i'm annoying neighbors with the exhaust sound, etc..... And lastly, delaying the period when I have to deal with gas and oil changes or 2 stroke mix, etc. is awesome..
    I see no need for something like a PW50 or CRF50 and will plan to move from this to something like an XR 100, etc.

lopitt85 likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

How old is he? I found the only real limiting factor with riding is touching the ground.

9. lopitt85

Glad to hear that they seem to last a good while. Ended up buying batteries from Amazon in the brand and upgraded capacity I wanted. Saved $30 between shipping and the lower price.

Kiddo is 6 by the way

BigBird likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

First bike and it's already a three-fiddy ? OMG
    j/k
    Good job dad !
    My son is trying a PW for the first time this weekend for his 5 year birthday. I hope he digs it :)

lopitt85 likes this.
  11. lopitt85

Hell's Yeah. Its the only way to keep his sport alive. I'm sure he'll love it. After taking my kids to the MotoAmerica round at Road America my son has been dying to get a bike like the kids riding in the mini series. And my super girly daughter (13 year old) wants to learn to ride after seeing the girls that were racing minis

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Awesome! We've have 5 Razor motorcycles and one gas motorcycle (Yamaha TTR-50) for the kiddos right now. (yeah, they are a little spoiled) The Razors are badass and very durable, best thing is they are highly modifiable. We have two MX350's, one I've run up to 48 volt on the stock motor/ESC which will get you around 22 mph. Stock is 14 mph. If you want to go crazy you can upgrade the motor and ESC to brushless and lithium batteries also. They also make a little sport bike which is pretty cool called a PR200. It's a bit more unstable compared to the dirt bikes but still fun on 24V. We have the larger MX500 which runs on 36 volt and they make a MX650 that I'd like to get for myself and go a little crazy with. These are all great for neighborhoods where you don't want to piss off the neighbors.

Having said that, there is NO comparison to my daughters Yamaha TTR-50. The Razors are toys, the Yamaha is FAR more substantial and will run 36 mph flat out. (put a GPS on it a few times) Full suspension of course and 3 gears with proper brake locations. (Only thing I don't like about the Razors is the brake on the left hand where the clutch should be.) But, for the little kids the Razors are absolutely the way to go. They just came out with a tiny dirt bike that runs on 12V called the MX125. Got this for my 4 year old boy and it only goes 8 mph. He complained it was too slow after a few weeks and now rides the MX350 all the time. :)

Oh, one last thing, these are super fun to paint up in your own colors. Get some Plasti Dip and go wild. We bought some "Ninja stickers" at the dealership and are painting one of the 350's Kawasaki green. My boy loves green for some reason.

BigBird and lopitt85 like this.
  13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

He's old enough for a CRF50 at 6 if he can ride a bicycle without training wheels. They come with a throttle screw that can control how fast it goes as well.

14. lopitt85

Oh yeah, he's riding a. Like like a champ. When he started asking for a dirt bike I told him he had to practice on his bicycle first. Riding standing up, in the grass, uphill. So everyday he'd tell me he was going out to practice so he could get his dirt bike, lol. He made sure I didnt forget.

I'll have to look into that one when he's ready to move up.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dad of the year.:)

16. lopitt85

Batteries came in today. Got them installed and she's running like a top. Gonna surprise him with a working bike tomorrow.

He wants to paint it orange to match my bike.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Interesting stuff...it's like when we upgraded the McQueen lightning Power Wheels to 24V...that was fun. Didn't realize the Razors could be upgraded.

My daughter thought the 350 was too slow, so she has been using a 650 since was 8 last year. They are pretty good little bikes, but yeah the suspension is horrid and the brake location is why. other than that, they are good around the neighborhood. My son likes to use the 350 and do "stunts"

I was using the TTR125 to lead them around the 'hood but between the smiles, there were a few get off my lawn folks. This year being home, they haven't really used it :(

18. lopitt85

I may try that before getting a bigger bike, when it's time. Was it just a matter of upgrading the batteries or was there more to it?

USracer900 likes this.
  19. lopitt85

I dont like the idea of the brake on the left either. It looks like a pretty straight foward mod to move it to the right. Am I missing anyhing?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think when I tried it the lever was too short and wouldn't get to the throttle.