1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new reed 15 % more hp

Discussion in 'General' started by new reed, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

LOL
    You are doing your kids friends dad more damage than good with your poor posts.
    I'm gonna guess you're either dumb as rocks or ESL.

I might even go with both at this point.

That being said, what's the paypal address I can send my $5,000? I have an F1 boat just dying to have the fuel injection removed from so I can "upgrade" to the "New Reed" system.

2. new reed

new reed Well-Known Member

not for sale fuck off asshole:Pop:

3. new reed

all i know i have new reed you dont fuck off good luck old reed

4. new reed

fuck jack off i tell you get 45 more hp out s3000

:bow:

5. new reed

6. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

I love this website. It's like /b/, but 10x better and about motorcycles.

7. new reed

fuck you jack off and fucking motorcycles::beer:

8. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

So wait, you want to fuck me, while jacking off and fucking a motorcycle? Kinky.

9. fishinking86

fishinking86 Well-Known Member

it's clearly part of the world's largest miniature subwoofer.

..er, uh..maybe part of a cappuccino machine :confused:

10. new reed

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I feel a hammer coming down.

New reed had to start quoting himself HA

BTW, aren't folks promoting products supposed to PAY to advertise?:Poke:

And I know Iam inept and all, but would not the plural be haggissi?:confused:

12. new reed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diode

* Reduces Fuel "Reversion" into Airbox

* Replaces existing reed cage

* Can be tuned for maximum performance or economy

* Potential Hydrocarbon (HC) emission reduction

* Potential Engine Effieciency Increase

Many tuners have wondered about the amount of fuel and oil lying in the bottom of the airbox when they remove the airbox to perform carb jetting or engine work. What causes this? It is a phenomenon referred to as “reversion”. Reversion causes the plume you see coming out of the carbs when the engine is accelerated, this plume being fuel, oil, and air blown out of the crankcase by the descending motion of the engine piston. This plume or reversion is the reason your air box (and engine compartment) gets soaked with fuel and oil. Reversion causes an inconsistency in carb jetting which results in a decrease in efficiency (fuel economy) and performance.

Barry Holtzman of Holtzman Engineering has developed a new patent pending engine induction valve, called the EID (Engine Induction Diode). The term “diode” is in the name to emphasize the ability of this valve to greatly reduce carburetor reversion, or backflow.

It is a pretty innocent looking device that bolts in place of the existing reed cage. This new valve does not have traditional “reeds”, but rather a spring-loaded polyurethane plate. It has a body with a curved seat in which several windows are milled, these windows being opened and closed by the plate. According to Holtzman, the valve responds to the changes in dynamic pressure more effectively than a normal reed.

The primary advantage of this valve is a reduction in reversion, or blowback, which occurs through the valve; reversion with EIDs is 50% to 75% less than that occurring with reeds, resulting in improved fuel economy and performance.

Another advantage of the EID system is the ability to easily tune the valves to match your engine's cylinder scavenging requirements. Cylinder scavenging is the process wherein burned fuel and air in the cylinder after combustion and exhaust is replaced by fresh charge. If the engine is "over-scavenged", excess fuel and air is lost through the exhaust port, resulting in increased unburned fuel emissions and a decrease in fuel economy. These valves can be tuned to provide optimum scavenging, resulting in greatly improved engine efficiency with minimal loss in power.

In what Holtzman calls “trail” tuning, an engine with the diodes delivers essentially equal power to that achieved with a conventional reed valve with about 75% less reversion than with a reed. When “lake” tuned, the diodes allow more reversion than when trail tuned, but less than a conventional reed, and they deliver more peak power than when trail tuned. It can also be tuned to essentially eliminate reversion with a minimal (about 2%) peak power loss. This product can be developed to allow the user to easily perform this tuning.

In performing the development work on this product, Holtzman noticed that if a twin was run with a “normal” reed valve installed on one cylinder and the EI diode design on the other with the same carb jetting, the cylinder with the diode consistently had 50F to 100F higher EGT readings than the cylinder with the reed. Holtzman feels this increased temperature was at least partially caused by less unburned fuel and air “short circuiting” to the exhaust and consequently cooling the probes. This should provide lower unburned HC exhaust emissions. If this is true, it will show up in fuel economy testing which will be conducted this winter.

Holtzman believes a good induction valve which reduces reversion is one which, all other things being equal, requires the highest carburetor jetting to obtain any given fuel/ air mixture. This can be explained as follows. If an engine requires 300cc of air per firing, there are many ways to deliver this air. One way is to pass 330cc forward through an induction valve having a design that allows 30cc to escape (30cc of reversion) per firing. Another method is to use a valve with improved trapping characteristics, this valve passing 310cc in the forward direction but only allowing 10cc of reversion. The carburetor only delivers fuel during the forward 330cc or 310cc air transfer (fuel is not delivered during the backflow because the venturi is actually at a positive pressure relative to the float bowl pressure during this time). The passage of 330cc of course will cause more fuel flow than the passage of 310cc, resulting in the need to “jet-up” the carb to obtain sufficient fuel flow when using a more efficient induction valve such as these diodes. Use of these diodes required typically a 3-4 jet size increase to obtain equivalent fuel/ air ratio.

The diodes are shorter in length than a reed valve and will allow moving the carbs about an inch and one-half closer to the engine. The “footprint” of the diodes is also significantly smaller than the stock Polaris reed, a reduction of almost 40% in area. If the induction tract were designed to fit this diode design, performance of the diode should be improved over what has been experienced thus far. This would be due to recovery of primary crankcase compression and improved air “ramming” due to the more consistent cross-sectional area of the induction tract. This design could also allow for reduced cylinder production costs in the future.

Compared to a reed valve, the EID has less parts (in the Polaris design, 23 parts per cylinder have been replaced by 12). If produced in equivalent quantities, the diode design should cost less to produce. Another potential advantage of the EID system is improved life. Reed valves have been plagued by reed petal breakage and cracking; the polyurethane used in the plate is not brittle and has excellent abrasion resistance.

Holtzman has performed dyno testing with fuel flow measurements. With a stock 1999 XC 500 having stock reeds, stock jetting (370 mains), and a Tempa Flow 1/8 turn counterclockwise from factory, recorded torque was 55 ft-lbs@7100 RPM (74 hp), with fuel flow at 52 pounds per hour. Replacing the reeds with “trail tuned” EIDs but with the same jetting, torque was 53 ft-lbs@7100 RPM (72 hp), and fuel flow at 45 pounds per hour. Running the engine with EIDs but increasing the mains to 400, recorded torque was 53 ft-lbs@7100 (72 hp), fuel flow 48#/hour. Holtzman also installed a stock reed in one cylinder and an EID in the other cylinder and recorded EGTs for 10 seconds at WOT. As you can see in the graph, the cylinder with the EID had temperatures about 70 degrees higher than the cylinder with reeds.

All of this begs the question “What in the world is going on?” With the same jetting, the EIDs resulted in 13.5% less carb fuel delivery with a power reduction of 2.3% resulting in an increase in efficiency of 12.7%. The fuel flow reduction of course indicates considerably less net air flow through the carbs to the engine.

Is it lean? The EGT readings would indicate a leaner condition with EIDs than with stock reeds, but plug and piston wash readings do not show this. After repeated running with a stock reed in one cylinder and an EID in the other and with the same jetting, piston wash and plug readings looked identical. Also, if it were as lean as the EGTs and fuel flow numbers would indicate, then increasing the jetting should have increased power; that did not occur.

The next set of dyno testing followed some tweaking of the diodes. Dyno runs were performed on the stock XC 500; two runs with stock reeds and two runs with EIDs installed. Carb jetting was not changed. The runs were averaged, and the results were as follows:

EIDs
    Peak HP = 74.7 @7281 RPM
    Peak Torque = 54.6 @ 7150 RPM
    Fuel Flow = 46.1 #/hr

REEDS
    Peak HP = 74.7 @7089 RPM
    Peak Torque = 56.45 @ 6940 RPM
    Fuel Flow = 52.43 #/hr

The diodes again caused the carbs to deliver significantly less (12%) fuel with identical carb jetting. Plug and piston readings did not appear to indicate any significant difference in leanness, however.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

How about you clean up your act with the language on this thread?

The guy who runs this show might get pissed off.

Understand?

14. new reed

you fuck off jack off

15. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Perhaps you should tell the inventor about the manner in which you're publicising his product...

16. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

WTF

This thread is full of fail.

Someone go post a link in general

:D

17. new reed

you fuck off jack off not for sale fuck fuck off

18. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Don't mind if I so.

19. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Where can I buy?

20. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

No, YOU go doody poop potty mouth poopity poop.