1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Kid On The WERA Grid: Benelli 350/4

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Hate McDead, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

Vintage Czar and personal friend, Rob Iannucci, has generously loaned me his extremely rare (only 6 built?) Benelli 350/4 '60s vintage racer to campaign in select historic races this season. Rob is the owner of the world famous race entity, Team Obsolete. Rob Iannucci is undoubtedly the single most pivotal person in developing historic racing in the United States and, perhaps the world. He has a stellular history with vintage racing having fielded many Team Obsolete racing bikes and riders all over the world as well as founding AHRMA. He has a living museum and restoration shop in Brooklyn at his offices from which there is a most exotic collection of bikes all of which can run with anger on the track. It is with his approval that I plan on entering some key WERA events.

The Benelli 350 is wild to hear run. Here's a link to one being warmed up. It's truly the sweetest thunder you'll ever hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN1W7dAdk2c&feature=related

I got home today with the bike and put it up on the bench to start prepping. As soon as I get back from Road America this week end, I'll start preparing the bike for the WERA/AMA Mid-Ohio event. Here's some photos:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Hate McDead

....and here's a photo of a fully faired Benelli 350 for you to check out. this is not a TO bike but you get a good look at how it looks

Attached Files:

3. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

Green - with envy.

4. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

Well shit, now I gotta go to Mid Ohio. The sound those things make is like a goddamn symphony. And I've only heard them on video. Lucky bastard.

5. Andy 338

Andy 338 Member

Wow. You definitely have better friends than me. At least they own much cooler stuff than mine.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

7. defiant900

defiant900 Well-Known Member

whats that hose looking thing coming off the upper exhaust pipe on the right hand side, appears to go into a box? Looks like a crankcase breather then to the box then into the pipe...but why not just to a catch bottle?

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Dr. McDead:

It's an honor to have a man of your international distinction and renowned reputation (in diverse and challenging fields) amongst us on the grid. WERA Vintage appreciates the opportunity to see and hear this beautiful bike, thanks to the generosity of Team Obsolute founder, Rob Iannucci.

May I be so bold to inquire as to which WERA events might we expect you to attend? Please contact me should you require any particular information and logistical coordination. :up:

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Doc....Bravo sir:up:

Man that thing is sweet. also a :up: to TO. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the actual vintage GP racers on the WERA grid :beer:

Bravo again sir...Bravo!

10. Hate McDead

Let me get this straight. Or should I say 'Borrowed Bikes For The Straight Guy'
    We all live off the generosity of our friends, be it big or small. Mr. Iannucci happens to dream big and give big. I'm sure your friends would do the same thing if they could.

You're right that about the hose being a crankcase breather (there's 2 of them). They go into a small catch can and then overflow into the exhaust. This was acceptable then; modern bikes now dump back into the airbox.

Tentatively, Sir Charles, I'm hoping to run the Benelli at Mid-Ohio, VIR and the GNF WERA events. And thank you for your generous offer, I'll PM you on how we might coordinate some of the logistics.

By the way, on my trip back from NYC, I was side tracked onto an obscure road. I stopped at a rowdy looking motorcycle roadhouse for a refreshment. After a few shots of rum served by buxom blond bombshell of a bartender, I looked down to see a drawing on a napkin. It was a design for a set of starter rollers powered by 2 GM Hampsters, each in a squirrel cage on each side of the rollers. Do you know anything about this? Over.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

We have several GM Hampster 'projects' ongoing at this time. It would be indiscreet for me to comment on the napkin drawing. However, our security department was contacted about a rogue employee who was fond of drawing on scrap paper, napkins, coasters, and toilet paper. When you provide the exact location, I will personally speak to the buxom bartender about this incident.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I hope no one decides to noise test you on that bike.

13. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member

Does the bike have a seat? :crackup:

14. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful bike...Drop dead gorgeous...

15. Hate McDead

Robin 172 said:
    Me too.

But wait a minute. Noise. Noise? That's not noise; noise is described as an unwanted sound. What we have is the sweet song of a pure breed race bike in tune. Being in tune is a pleasing quality of sound.

Charles said:
    I would gladly give you the location of this roadhouse but........I'm afraid that the Miss Buxom Bartender decided to join me on the road as my teammate. She's probably not your type anyway; however, she belongs to a women's motorcycle club called Sisters For Perpetual Indulgence where you just might be find your own teammate.

16. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

It's not a 2 stroke :( but it's green - I like it. :up:

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I don't think I could reach the bars. Either that or I would have to ride it like Rollie Free at Bonneville. :D

Cool bike though.

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I agree. Mind you, being behind one when it's wound open really hurts.

Is it a genuine ex factory machine or one of the George Beale replicas?

19. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Well, we now know the price of your soul . . . .