1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new guy looking to possibly start racing

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by codymulanax, Apr 17, 2012.

1. codymulanax

codymulanax New Member

so yea i bought a bike im gonna track it out.. i kinda wanna start racing next year.. gonna start doing consistent track days here soon.. can anyone tell me what i will need to start racing or how i can go about it.. any help would be great and id appreciate it.. the closest track is hallett so thats what ill be riding the most.. thank you guys....

2. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

Time in the saddle, do a race school, race.

3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Need specifics because that question can be answered any number of ways.

The basics in my mind would be tools, safety wire pliers, safety wire, gear approved for racing (boots, gloves, back protector, suit, helmet), prep bike per rulebook, transponder (or you can rent one), money, tires, money, spare parts (handlebars, frame sliders, wheels, etc)...

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

First piece of advice would be sell that bike and buy one that's already race prepped.

$3500 should buy you way more bike than you'll need for a few years at least. I'm 5 years in and my bike is an '03. I've only had it 3 years.

5. codymulanax

codymulanax New Member

Ok so I have all the gear. Just bought a couple sets of bridgestone r10's my bike im using for the track is pretty set up in my eyes. Suspension has been set up for me. It has every spider you can put on it haha. I'm not sure on safety wiring a bike but I need to do it. Anyone have any good advice on it? How can I get signed up for racing?

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Like bergs indicated, above, you can find all of your answers in the rulebook. It's TREMENDOUSLY helpful: http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098

You'll want to read it and re-read it.... it will let you know everything you need to do to get your bike set up and what classes you can run with it... You'll want to get a tetanus shot, if you haven't already -- and know your blood type, it's required as part of your license paperwork for safety. You'll need to fill out a license form and you'll need to book an accredited school... Wera usually has schools that run with the practice session(s) before a race weekend, so you'll want to get hooked up with one of those or you can check out others in your area--depending on where you are... California Superbike, Cornerspeed, Bargy, Schwantz, Penguin, etc...

Safety wiring is pretty straight forward... you'll need to block-off your kickstand switch (remove the kickstand)... Pull a bunch of bolts off and drill them with a 1/32 or 1/16 TI bit... a press works wonders... You'll need to pull bodywork, get race plastics, set up yellow numberplate backgrounds, and get some temp means of numbering your bike for your first weekend when assigned (electrical tape works well).... You'll need to flush coolant and replace with water/wetter and RTV over things like brake pins and clutch-basket bolts...

You'll want an easy-up or some other form of PRECIOUS SHADE... a broom for prepping your paddock... some kind of sealed soda bottle or some other container for used safety wire -- lest it end up in your fresh tires... You'll want an awesome cooler and a chair that will seat you while dressed in full leathers... You may also want to rock a large hat and some awesome shades (I'm not kidding about these items....).

You'll want tire stands, tire warmers, extension cords, possibly a small generator.... you may want anti-slosh tank foam (rider's discount or sport bike track gear or kurveygirl or trackstar can set you up with most of this stuff)... A ridiculously good tool set... a small and a large torque wrench... a proper BFH...

You'll need good boots, crispy-fresh leathers, excellent gloves, a back protector, chest protector, and a new-ish helmet (check rulebook for rqts). You may also want a football-stye mouthguard -- they're great when you crash!

Extra bars, extra levers, extra foot pegs and bolts... DUCT TAPE.... zip ties and a ton of ear plugs...

And don't forget your steering damper if you don't already have one...

Hope that's enough to get started! Look forward to seeing you out there, what classes are you planning to run and which region? :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. codymulanax

codymulanax New Member

Wow that's a lot of good info. Thank you. I'm gonna know the rule book like the back of my hand.. Idk what class I would run in. But I'm located in nw Arkansas so ill be riding topeka Kansas and hallett.. I'm just really excited to start to ride. I'm fast on the twisties but I need to chill out. I hope racing and the track will help me chill on the street.. again I appreciate all your guys answers. I'm sure ill be asking more questions soon!