1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ducati Motocross Bike Unveiled

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jan 22, 2024.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the deluge of "is it just a rebranded KTM?", or "ah, that's just a KTM motor because of the (insert generic cosmetic detail they fixated on)" from all the MX experts out there.

3. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

4. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It's a deep pool to be jumping into. They and Triumph have alot of work cut out for themselves. Hope to see them do well but they will need to poach some big name talent to make serious inroads over here.

stk0308 and L1MTD like this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Anyone wanting to call it a KTM of any kind just needs to have a look at the frame.

Quicktoy and grapemustard like this.
  6. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

A quick read shows desmo valves, nothing else on the market like it in orange.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The triumph is really similar to the KTM. The Ducati is totally different it seems

8. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I cant wait for the Ducati boys to show up to all the MX tracks, meet the locals, and use the shitters that make the old Nelson Ledges look like Caesars Palace.

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The Duc looks like a Honda if anything. At least the frame.

10. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I haven't followed SX/MX since the Jeremy Mcgrath and Ricky Carmichael era. I'm trying to get back into, partly cause I need something to watch right now. And partly cause I'm interested to see how Ducati does.

BigBird likes this.
  11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

MX keyboard jockeys (smh)...when the 97 CR250 came out with the aluminum frame (wish I still had mine), all the Compuserve jocks promised assuredly that they would all crack and explode on the first triple. Did I just date myself?

12. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Kinda bummed they went with showa suspension, was really hoping they would go the KYB route. I don’t know what it is about showa but every bike I’ve ever owned with it only feels good if you’re riding hard, back off a tad and the bike feels horrible. The KYB stuff seems to work well in a broader range.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

They sure cracked and exploded a bunch of riders.

prm likes this.
  14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Aluminum frames are very stiff compared to steel (in general). That’s my experience anyway. I really disliked the feel of my aluminum CR250R and CRF250 vs. my Suzuki frame (RM125). Kind of like driving vehicles on very low profile tires at high pressure vs. more normal profile tires.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Hopefully they won't go the Cannondale route (trying to reinvent the wheel). I had always hoped to see the Buell MX bike, or at least where they had gotten to when it was shut down. Anyone know Dave Osterman (former Yamaha of Troy manager that was working on the project at Buell)? I would guess any NDA's would be done by now. :)

I am constantly amazed at the companies that want to get into MX. From my (limited) years in the moto industry, it seems that europeans always are enamored with SX/MX. IMHO the money is in the off road/dual sport bikes. I am not up on current trends but I'd be curious to see where the money is going in those segments, MX or DS? Seems the off road and dual sport riders usually is a bit more flush with cash vs the usual motocross rider?? maybe it's just my opinion and it's wrong.... I get the marketing and the younger fans for SX/MX but when it comes to spending money on bikes and gear, I think KTM and Klim have it figured out.

ducnut likes this.
  16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I really enjoy watching it but unfortunately find myself without the time to really keep up with it so the era you speak of is really the last time I paid much attention, even though I've attended some races since. If I read the article correctly though, it seems you might be waiting awhile to see them here. Looks like it will only be competing in the Italian Championship for now and production isn't even planned to start until the end of next year (and inevitably there are always delays). Bet it's at least a couple more years before we see them stateside, racing or otherwise.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I want to see the first Desmo valve systenmodern single 450
    I want to see a technical drawing of this motor!

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Finally, an MX engine with road-going engine repair costs.

BigBird, Once a Wanker.. and MGM like this.
  20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'd posit that MotoGP is the deepest pool of all. Ducati seems able to tread water there.