1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Concept In Brakes

Discussion in 'General' started by CJ, Jan 19, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Did you guys see the new concept that SBS just launched?

A new version of the DS compound pads was released and now you can have a pad with a strong initial bite and linear friction curve, or less initial bite with a progressive friction curve - or a combination of the two by running one compound in one caliper and a different one in the other.
    A great way to fine-tune the brake feel!

Teams on a World level have been running pad combinations like this, but it's never really been recommended.
    But this concept has been tested for a couple of years to make sure it's ready for general use.

Here is the news release:

Daytona Beach, FL - January 15 2019 - After several years of development, SBS can now reveal the ground-breaking Dynamic Racing Concept. The current industry-leading Dual Sinter (DS-1) brake pad compound is now accompanied by a DS-2 to provide a unique opportunity to fine-tune brake performance and feel. DS-1 provides a strong initial bite and a very linear friction curve where DS-2 has a smoother initial bite with a progressive friction curve. The unique solution is the ability to combine the two by using DS-1 in one caliper and DS-2 in the other, allowing racers to find precisely the lever feel and friction characteristics they prefer.

Over the last few race seasons, select teams in the World Superbike, Moto2 and Moto3, British Superbike and World Endurance Championships have been a big part of the development process of the latest compound from SBS Friction A/S, now launched as the DS-2 Dual Sinter.

DS-2 has been developed based on requests from riders preferring a compound with a little more manageable initial bite and more powerful braking power in the end of long stops, compared to DS-1.

During development, SBS received lots of usable data from the various teams and SBS race manager Allan Østli comments: “Many riders were very impressed with the new DS-2, but some still felt that the initial bite was reduced too much compared to DS-1. On the other hand, some riders who preferred DS-2, occasionally were looking for a little more stopping power at the end of a braking zone with DS-1. Based on this feedback, a completely new braking concept emerged: The Dynamic Racing Concept combining the strong initial bite and linear performance from DS-1 with the smooth initial bite and progressive performance from DS-2”.

Professional race teams have plenty of options when it comes to component choice but Kervin Bos, Technical Manager Team Red Bull Honda World Superbike states: “Our partnership with SBS is a great asset for our team in the WorldSBK championship - the support we receive and quality of the products are second to none. Our technical partnership with SBS allows us to develop the optimum brake performance to suit each rider. For us, the standout performer is SBS DS-2 brake pad”.

The close collaboration between SBS and a large number of winning teams is demanding for SBS Research and Development but has led to the best brake pads in the industry and many titles in World Superbike, Supersport and Superstock and even more wins in National Championships worldwide.

Dual Sinter brake pads are for racing use only and should never be used on public roads.

SBS Racing products are available in the US at a number of trackside vendors and performance shops.

A current dealer list can be found at www.racingbrakesusa.com

2. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

That’s really cool! Of all the different pads I’ve run thus far the older DS style was the best mix of initial bite and absolute stopping power. Now it can be taliered further. The most powerful input any bike has are the breaks. It bakes sense to be able to tailor there performance and feel to your liking.

3. Why’s that any different than what other companies have been doing? Just like Vesrah RJL, SRJL etc. I like the feel of the rjl for example.
    Maybe the mixing of the pads part?

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Isn't that post pretty much an advertisement?....

Odilup likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was wondering if he worked for them . :crackup:

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

MachineR1 likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not quite sure I understand the progressive performance part...
    The hotter they get during use, the more friction they provide; or the harder you squeeze, the more friction - which is kind of a duh, no shit.
    Frankly, I prefer consistent/linear feel. If I want to stop harder, I brake harder. If the pads fade, I'm using the wrong compound.
    Considering I have yet to fade anything beyond stock pads, I imagine this performance they're referring is relevant only to those at the upper level. Anybody here in that category?

8. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

I’ve over heated some pads before for sure. Anytime I’ve ridden a bike with a stock bike (normal Japanese’s bikes nothing fancy or high end) the stock pads felt like blocks of wood.

SpeedyE likes this.