1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some tips regarding buying track bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by autobahn70, Feb 24, 2011.

1. autobahn70

autobahn70 Member

Hey All,

I'm looking to get into this whole track riding ordeal and make it a hobby. I did the CA Superbike School in New Jersey last year and now I'm hooked. I have all the equipment except for a bike. What I am trying to figure out is what bike I should get that will give me the most bang for my buck. Since I am just starting out, I would like to get a 600 sport bike that is also street legal. Right now I am currently looking at a 2003 R6, great condition, but 21,000 miles (asking $4100). I'd just like to hear people's opinions, like if I would be better off buying something with less miles (I really don't know when engine components start to go bad in a bike).

Thanks for the input,

Ryan

2. cMac

cMac Conservatively Libral

4100 I would get somthing newer. you can get an 06 for that. depending on mods and prep. Thats a rack of miles too for that price.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm with Cmac.....seems high.

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

SV650 track bike, something else for the street. Keep the two separate. You can probably find 2 SVs for 4100 if you shop around.

Ken

5. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

All the street crap is going to make it cost more. Get a track only bike and you can get something much newer like everyone else is saying that is ready to go.

6. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

+1....keep your eyes peeled on here and buy a bike that's already prepped and save yourself some coin.

Unless you're like me and get just as much enjoyment out of building a bike as you do riding it.

7. autobahn70

autobahn70 Member

I figured the track prepped bikes would be more, with all the added accessories and what not. I've seen that a lot of you guys recommend the SV for the track. Any reason why you think these are good starter track bikes vs a inline 4 sport bike?

8. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

Probably because they're cheap, parts are abundant and cheap, and they're not as powerful which allows a little more room for rookie errors.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

even if they are more expensive... it still costs money to take a perfectly good street bike and make it into a nice track bike.

One of my bikes was free... and Im $3k into it... still needs paint and a few other minor details.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Usually less since most times they've already been tossed on the ground :D

11. meanseeds

meanseeds Well-Known Member

if you ever plan on racing, get an sv. if you just want to do trackdays and have fun with some friends then get the 600

12. primo

primo Well-Known Member

06 07 r6. Cheap parts and is one bad ass bike today. :)

13. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

if you're serious about racing, then you'd be wasting your money to get a stock r6 with clean title and street bodywork.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Nothing wrong with a 4-5 year old 600 that's already track prepped. They usually have salvage titles are and much cheaper than prepping a streeet bike. Track prepped SVs are less money and your tire bill will be less.

15. autobahn70

autobahn70 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to get into racing, I just wanna be a track day junkie. I figure that if I get to the track 3 weekends out of the year, I'll be doing good. With that being said, it seems like a stock sport bike would be fun for flinging around on the track while also being able to ride to work and back. On the other hand, you guys know better than I do. And if you think that getting a bike specifically set up with all the steering stabilizers and aftermarket shocks and such, then I'll probably end up going that route instead. Again, thanks for all the input. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible at this point.

16. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

Just curious, why would you want to be a track day guy? I'm not trying to attack you; I'm just curious. When I started track riding I did it because I wanted to race. I met an old guy who told me to skip track days, buy an ex500 and race. I wish I followed his advise, I think I would be a much better rider if I did. Today, with WERA, you can race a ninja 250.

As far as a stock suspension with 26k goes, it'll need service at the least.

17. autobahn70

autobahn70 Member

Well I can't tell you what I might end up doing in the future. I did CA Superbike School 1 time last year, for 1 day. And even after I put their shiny new S1000rr face down in the dirt at turn 11, I knew that I wanted to do it again. I don't want to just jump into racing. I'd like to get some miles under my belt at the track then go from there.

18. The Villain

The Villain Evil Registered user

Now that sounds suspiciously familiar. I imagine I could guess who told you that. He was wrong.

The correct answer is run track days AND race.

Autobahn, you should without question buy that '03 R6 for $4100. And while you're shopping, I've got some swampland I'd like to show you...

3 weekends a year does not make you a trackday junkie. Hell, I've done 3 trackday weekends this year. SV, 600, whatever...just get something and get out there.

19. autobahn70

autobahn70 Member

Now your gettin me fired up! I'll be hovering around the forum soakin up info. Thanks for your feedback guys

20. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Thats what I did. I started on a GS 500 and then moved to the SV!