1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with crash causes

Discussion in 'General' started by Maksym Hryhoriev, Jan 7, 2024.

1. I was doing my first warm lap. There was a straight line and I shifted down one gear, then after 2 seconds I felt that the rear tire was blocked and then I fell.

here's the video with my crash:

I did shift down once and then RPM went from 7K to 12K like I did two gear shift down. But I didn't do it.

The bike is a Ninja 400 2019 without ABS. It has iQSE-1 quick-shifter, Norton Race Spec Clutch Upgrade Kit, and fresh Heavy Duty Barnett Clutch Friction Plates.

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

How long have you been riding.
    Have you ever ridden a dirt bike.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. 5 years on the streets, about one year on track.
    >How long have you been riding.

No
    >Have you ever ridden a dirt bike.

The problem is that high RPM wasn't a result of my actions. I didn't shift the gear and didn't use clutch, brake, or throttle at that time. I'm trying to figure out what was the root cause.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It sounds like you down shifted once and then inadvertently touched the shifter again or it was a false neutral and then cleared itself.

ToofPic likes this.
  5. The bike has MotoGP shift so down gear can't be done just by touching. It's possible to shift up by mistake in this case. Also, RPM went from 7K to 12K it looks like two gears down were made. It's hard to make by mistake :(
    >It sounds like you down shifted once and then inadvertently touched the shifter again

If it's false neutral then there should be RPM up and sound changes at downshift time. But on the video, you can see that my downshift was done without such problems - I closed the throttle, matched revs, downshifted and RPM went down from 9K to 7K.
    >or it was a false neutral and then cleared itself.

6. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Ummmm..Your "2nd" down shift banged the revs/rpm way into redline,thus locking up rear,and possibly some front brake help?

418 likes this.
  7. Yes, "2nd" was a cause but I didn't do it. So I'm trying to figure out what part of my setup could do such thing. My current thoughts are that I have problems with the quick shifter and it did such "2nd" down shift.
    So maybe someone knows how iQSE-1 works or maybe saw similar problems.
    >Ummmm..Your "2nd" down shift banged the revs/rpm way into redline,thus locking up rear,and possibly some front brake help?

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I have been riding over 50 yrs.
    Started out riding dirt on a trail 90

9. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I missed a shit ton of shifts after I bought new boots.It was a constant coming on to the front straight at Road A. with standard shift. I wasn't completely releasing the shifter on upshifts. If your running GP shift,I could see not getting a full release if your boot was still under the shifter? That's all I got.Ive never heard of problems with Ghost shifts,other than false neutrals. Your video clearly sounds of a good clean 2nd downshift. Just my 2 cents

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sounds like something touched the shifter. Odd because you were straight up & down. Perhaps it was assembled wrong? My ninja 300 doesnt lock the rear on dowshifts unless you stab the rear brake.
    You may want to learn to cover the clutch lever so that doesnt happen to you again.
    When youre fixing the crash damage remove those garbage barnett clutch fibers or you will be rebuilding the engine when they shear apart & clog your oil pump.
    Factory plates in the correct stack height only... then the rest of the farkles of that norton kit will lengthen its service life.

11. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

One, make sure bike is mechanically correct. Since you've been into the clutch...that is where I'd start. As stated above...get rid of that barnett crap...OE clutch fibers are almost always the best way to go (at least in my experience in many bikes with several drag bikes in the mix). If you didn't make any inputs to the bike...and it did that on its own...something mechanically is wrong.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I seem to recall the early ninja 400's were prone to jumping a gear. Is the 2019 model affected as well?

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What is motogp shift? Sounds like it could lower my lap times

14. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

You can only get it if you have the right red limiter.

Pixelator and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Watching the vid again there is a downshift then it sounds like in a panic there was throttle applied along with front brake causing the back to step out and toss you off. I don't think there was one specific item that caused it rather a combination of bad inputs

Pixelator, TurboBlew and 418 like this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, the recent work on the friction plates provides suspicion.

Looked like it happened right at tip in but I'm assuming you had done some turning before that corner? Tight throttle cable would be another option but that looked too severe to me for that.

17. 418

418 Expert #59

To me it looked like stuck or whiskey throttle.

The bike appeared to accelerate.

18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Regardless, stuff like this is bound to happen on occasion.

The OP needs to come up with his plan for "what do I do when I or the bike mis-shifts on the track.

My drill was:
    Pull in clutch
    Steer the bike
    UPSHIFT

Then sort things out

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You're supposed to do a Rossi leg dangle, slide it wide fucking open on the throttle and wheelie out of the slide.:rock:

Rookies

Just kidding. Glad you're ok and are able to make corrections

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Glad you're okay and you've gotten some sound advice in this thread. I just wanted to point out that the way you quote and respond to questions is confusing as hell.