1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Developing Reference Points

Discussion in 'General' started by cMac, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cMac

cMac Conservatively Libral

As the title says I need help developing ref points. I have become reasonably quick but I notice the cones have become my ref points. Im thinking of racing next year and would like some advice on developing my one markers.

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

you need to pick objects that don't move. cones can be repositioned between sessions. I have heard a story of someone using a corner marshal as a marker, was okay until he moved :rolleyes: Pick tire marks/dark spots on the track, a spot on curbing. Some tracks have permanent markers, and some groups put out markers as reference points.

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Do a track walk. You will see lots of stuff at walking speed that you can later find while riding.

I just close my eyes.:wow:

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

RP's don't have to be physically on-track. They can be off in the distance, visual points of reference, such as trees, a corner working station, etc.

Try to find reference points for every corner - a turn-in point, and exit point specifically. Replay a full lap of a track in your head and if you feel lost and don't know where you are in a certain section, that's an indication that you need to find additional reference points in that spot.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Good topic, thnx for starting it!

FWIW- I have heard some racers say in the past that they'll make their own RP's if they have to by leaving several skid marks side by side during their practice sessions.......I dont think I'll ever be at that level tho. ;(

6. :stupid:

Like Eddie said, you should be able to sit down somewhere, close your eyes and visualize an entire lap. Not only that, but if you know the track and are comfortable everywhere, your imaginary lap times should be similar to your IRL lap times.

If you get to a certain spot in your imaginary lap and draw a blank (or "fast forward" to another spot), then that is a section of the track you aren't comfortable with.

7. cMac

Thanks Guy's (and girls if any) I know Summit point and Shenny Pretty good. Ill do the visualization and then the track walk. With some notes and practice im sure this will help.

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

well said mate. At the Isle of Man, I used to go out at night with a paint spray can, and paint trees and things for myself, worked a treat, as I new them well, and trusted my memory of them

9. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Seeing God is a good reference point

10. cMac

No thanks. a slight hick up might lead to meeting him.

11. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Kevin Shwantz Wayne Rainey German 500 GP race:up: My favorite race Quote of all time

12. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Always have my trusty spray can :up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  13. High Side

High Side When you see God....brake

There's a pic here? I didn't see it.

14. cMac

Is the spray can cheating or is it an accepted practice

15. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

it's called vandalism...

16. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I did go back every year and Fully remove the paint

17. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I usually pick out places that i've landed and use them as reference points. Places like "That one hurt" or "That really sucked" or "The marshalls got to me really quick" really help me out.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Take some chalk like the kids use on sidewalks. Mark your ref. points, chalk washes away, paint don't

19. ...and hope others don't have the same idea (or at least use the same color chalk). :D

Imagine going to Jennings right after Pegram ran his 13.8 and trying to use some of his same markers. :wow: