1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need EX500 Tach

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Apr 22, 2013.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

What are you guys using and does anyone have a spare for sale?

Since upgrading my wiring and ECM to Gen 2, the tach reads what appears to be twice as fast as it should on the improvised ZX6 tach that's on the bike.

Can I just get a Gen 2 instrument cluster off eBay and remove and use the tach stand alone or is there a better alternative?

I suppose if it's a variable voltage signal from the ECM I could experiment with different resistors in series and try to get half the voltage which should get it close.

2. 70yamahaR5

Nothing? You guys have no suggestions?
    Weak as cat water.

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Just get an aftermarket tach with a sensor that clips onto the spark plug wire. Easy peasy.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Rick, I use a stock tach on my EX, but dont have a spare.

I'd bet a schitzu would work, similar to what Joe is saying.....hmmmmm, maybe I can ditch that stock cluster.

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I may have a Scitzu up for sale in the near future. I'm looking for a used AIM Mychron dash to upgrade the RZ with.

6. promod

promod Well-Known Member

joe sounds like rick and i could use one ,,i have a SPA with shift lite hasn't worked since i got it ,,replaced the fuse ,had to go to radio shack to find one:Poke: they said just wiggle the wires on the back it will come on,,are u kidding me!!!!!! well it hasn't ,,junk piece,,i'm paying attention here...........:D

7. 70yamahaR5

I'd be interested in your used Scitsu, Joe, if you can clean all that 2S oil off of it and get me your best friends and family rate. :D But hammer down Steve may need it more than me, so either way is fine.

I've got one of those electronic Vector deals, but have had mixed results with it and would prefer just a clean analog dial. A shift light would be a bonus. Other than a couple pricey Scitsu gauges on eBay in the UK, I'm only seeing Chinese stuff for the most part, so I'll do some more looking.

8. promod

promod Well-Known Member

go for it rick if joe has it ,,it will work..i'm to big and old less weight with out one will help little motor out of corners,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Why all this obsession with tachometers?

10. promod

promod Well-Known Member

thanks charles, ,,when it quits pulling i shift,,before it hits the rev limiter,,a tach is extra weight,,i don't even have a oil lite ..if oil moves out of the glass eye level on side of case when motor starts i'm good to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!steve............u going to barber ??????????,,joe said u mite grace us w/ your noble sousayer abuilitys one day (what the hell does that mean)thats cool with me,hope u make it,rick said he's coming ,,now u gotta make it.................steve:clap::D:D

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Exactly, Steve, shift when you feel like it! Don't be a slave to convention! By the way, you need to safety wire that 'glass eye' on the side of the case...

I am planning on coming to Barber to sprinkle holy water on your bikes and give blessings to all 2-Strokers in attendance.

12. 70yamahaR5

Good point. I just did 75 miles or so at the Barber trackday essentially without one. The needle was wrapped way past where the dial ends and it's got a rev limiter, so maybe less is more.

13. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

I have a new scitsu....red back for twins..................

14. 70yamahaR5

PM sent.