1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Dyno Room Noise Advice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wera_123, Mar 31, 2012.

1. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

Currently the dyno is in a cinder block room 8'H x 10'W x 21'L room. The entrance door is a cheap metal roll up door.

I know I need to replace the door with something more substantial and smaller that provides more sound insulation.

I need advice on the best way to quiet the noise so I can work late at night and keep the German police away. I also need a better way to baffle the exhaust that exiting the building.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on the cheap or engineered??
    Ive seen dedicated sound proofed dyno rooms with fresh air ducts run way north of $50k USD.

On the cheap, egg crate foam on the exterior. Not sure how you would handle the fresh air intake/exhaust.

3. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

You can get some four inch thick poly foam blocks, attach them to a sheet of plywood, and push that in place over the rollup door. You need at least that much to cut the sound. If you don't have force exhaust you are playing with your life. You need to move a LOT of air in and out of that room if it is closed.

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Call Wayne at
    http://www.power-tripp.com/

He built one from the ground up for his new shop,

Walls, door , exhaust. He is very personable and I am sure would be glad to tell you what he used

This is his room
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That is a nice dyno room.

7. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Reminds me of the dyno room I ran at Cummings HD in Michigan. When they built their new store, TC had one of the top DT teams and he wanted to have the best of everything at the new shop. The dyno room was actually inside the 55,000 sq.ft. store and when I made runs you could not hear it on the showrrom floor. I had a remote screen setup on the service counter and people would ask what it was. When they were told there was dyno runs being made less than 100' away that they couldn't here, they would ask to come watch.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  8. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

You can look into roxul acoustic insulation.

9. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

did the "homemade one" for years till i stepped up to INC Rooms... would never go back! My new room is amazing for ventilation and temp controlled! Always between 58-72* the old homemade one would heat soak FAST and be over 100* inside some summers. plus the sound never worked well..take a look at the INC rooms...well worth the investment!

heres me beating up my personal R1 on it...you can kinda see the room. I know RRW had some great shots of it in the "Shops" Article on my shop a few years back..i love my room or "palace of solitude"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1Ga_qOeQ8

:beer:

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey man, that dyno pull would be a lot faster if you had a quick shifter on there.:D If no budget for the shifter, at least get in a better tuck and don't wail your arm around sooooo much on the shifts. I also recommend getting your butt on the side of the seat to prepare for the upcoming corner.:beer:

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

nice Rob..thanks. Yeah this was baseline run testing one of the first Leo Corsa systems and frankly i messed up the 2nd gear shift..but it was my personal bike for testing..plus the flame out got a lot of hits hahahaha...