1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need dualsport for Katrina relief

Discussion in 'General' started by funnyhat, Sep 27, 2005.

1. funnyhat

funnyhat tire budget challenged

Hey there guys and gals!

I am hoping to find a beat up dual sport to borrow for two weeks. The deal is that I am about to go to Mississippi/Louisiana to help out with the relief effort there. I've tried to find one to buy (and I'm still looking if you have something to sell) but that hasn't panned out, so I'm thinking of trying the borrowing route.

As I'm not a dirt guy, I was hoping to find something on the smaller end of displacement (read DRZ400 or smaller) so that I can handle it and it will be easy on gas, and street legal so that I can run errands on local roads etc. I already have two close offers from awesome guys trying to help - Grady Anderson has offered to let me use his Yamaha enduro, at least it has lights, but it's not street legal. Michael Parr would let me use his DRZ650, but that's way more than I was hoping to manhandle - my legs are not long for one thing.

My thoughts so far is that I'm looking for a KLR250, an XT225, a TW200, an older XT350, or DRZ400. Older is fine as long as it runs ok and other suggestions are more than welcome. Looks don’t matter a bit.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Take spare tubes and a pump or the co2 air filler dohickies.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd also suggest one with a kickstart as a primary or backup starting method - a dead battery won't be an easy fix necessarily.

4. funnyhat

Absolutely on the repair packs and kickstarter. I was thinking that all those suggestions did still have kickstart, though I haven't looked closely at a DRZ in a long time to know for sure.

Thanks for the stickiness sir!

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My pleasure. ;)

6. funnyhat

His Mongoness replied first, I just figured he did the sticking. Thank you very much Papa!

Well, I leave this coming Saturday, so unless anyone has further ideas it looks like I'll be borrowing the enduro. I'd rather be able to handle the bike, and have to explain the lack of true street worthiness, than put the 650 in a ditch or otherwise get stuck.

Anyone know the offroad-bike-on-road laws for Mississippi or Louisiana? I'm hoping in the south they will be lax. :)

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was stuck before Mongo posted. :) Grady told me about this the last time we chatted, right before he saw you at Summit. So I semi-expected a thread at some point. I hope someone comes up with something for you.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Tell them you are with the relief effort. Probably lots of vehicles being used down there that are not fully street-legal.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn, if I weren't stuck in Boston, MA I would let you use my DRZ400S. :(

10. funnyhat

Thanks RC, I really appreciate the thought. I know that there are plenty that would like to help but are just too far away, and time is short.

I'm leaving Saturday, and I'm taking Grady's XR200. The more I think about it I guess Darrin is right - I'll have my worker ID with me at all times, and that should help a lot.

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sure make the guy who would write you a ticket look bad.

12. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

I delivered my XR200 to Tom this evening. He will make a difference down there. God will use him well. Keep him in your prayers.