1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a wagon or small SUV

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Potts N Pans likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't mine a Roadmaster with a big block in it :D

It would need the skylights around the roof rack too.

3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I'd love one. A cycling teammate has one. But IIRC they aren't cheap and get horrible gas mileage

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yeah - but you think Kawasaki is awesome too. :D

EDIT - Rea/ZX10 SBK not withstanding...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They are not and they do - although for hwy it should be better than rated as tall as 6th gear is. But I couldn't keep my foot out of it so I'd get worse. Hell, I can't keep my foot out of it in the Ho with the aftermarket intake on it just because it sounds cool :D

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've never understood minivan hate. My '07 Sienna is at over 230k miles. Until the last 15k or so it got 24 or better on the highway. Acceleration is better than my '66 mustang was and it handles pretty well, or it did without the 230k miles worth of play in the steering. DOn't get me wrong, I like the Flex. It's comfortable. Power is OK, but the Sienna feels stronger off the line. I like the elevated seating position of the minivan, the power side doors are awesome, and I can carry a sheet of plywood in the back, flat. Can't completely close the hatch, but the Flex won't do that.

BigBird likes this.
  8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Audi allroad?

I like the vette idea. If you need even more space get the aero wagon from Lingenfelter.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The wife and I are both 6' + tall and every minivan we tried felt cramped. Plus the Flex is a tank and she feels "secure" in it. She had a bad experience with the previous small SUV and wanted something "big" but not a SUV/truck. And we both just don't like the way they look. I do like the Eurostyle vans - Sprinter, Ford's etc.

For me the, the Flex is honestly the most practical and well thought out car I've ever had. Does everything I need it too well. For hauling plywood, I have my truck.

I just want one with the turbo.:D

10. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Not sure on price, but I was looking for something similar when I decided to move on from my wagon(s). Previously I had a '03 saab 9-5 aero wagon and then a '05 V70R. I was starting to do enough hobbies that involve ground clearance and some off-road capability.

I drove most of the small SUV's, plus a few of the big ones (a ton of work travel and National emerald executive status helps). My end decision was not that different than what Clarkson decided in the small SUV (Canada) episode of the grand tour last season. I thought none of them checked the boxes enough for me and bought a Tacoma. That said, I didn't prioritize gas mileage as much (especially with the offroad package). If you want a comfy ride, leather, better gas mileage, and tons of storage, maybe check out the Ridgeline. I also liked the Flex, btw.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My minivan IS my truck.:D

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  12. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

VW diesel wagons are a steal right now. They also come with a hell of a warranty post “the fix”.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Fair enough.:D

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Honda Civic hatchback Sport trim 1.5t manual. Decent size, great gas mileage, should run forever.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And rear tires last no more than a few thousand miles!

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

MB GLK gas or diesel, pick your poison

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much?

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Pretty sure the Impreza wagon is CVT. But so is the 4 cylinder outback. I pulled a 16 ft flats boat with one with no issues.

I highly recommend it.

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

You can actually get the 17 + in a five speed, but the only hesitation I have is that it is gutless. There is one at the local stealership that I'll try to drive this weekend.

How are they on long term reliability?

Lots of good suggestions. So far I'm thinking:

RDX
    RAV4
    Impreza Wagon
    CX5
    VW wagon
    Audi A3

I did look at Mongo's Caddy Wagon for a few more seconds. He is right, perhaps 19 mpg is conservative and I'll get 20.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-perfect-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-is-worth-now-1801087310

Then I realized those bitches are $50K!

20. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I’m not rolling like some of y’all ballers, but...
    2013 base model Ford Escape with the non-turbo 4 cyl. Bought new for $18k, currently at 186k miles with only tires/oil/brakes. 30mpg, hauls me, the wife, the dogs, and all our crap comfortably. Installed a hitch and towed my 4x8 open trailer. I’ll drive it to 200k at least.