1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neck protection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by compmoto, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The problem I see with the airbag is that it won't work as well as the Leatt STX in the event of a lawn dart type of impact where compression forces are likely to result in a C-spine injury. Journal articles indicate that instances where the neck is not able to move out of the way result in the C-spine absorbing all of the impact force which, in turn, is likely to lead to a fractured vertebra(e) and the associated neural complications.

The neck can be bent pretty in any direction with the sides, back or front of the head contacting some part of the torso. Many of these instances will result in stretched/torn ligaments, but may also be less likely to induce a fracture - whiplash from a rear end collision is an example of this.

I see the airbag vest as an excellent solution for whiplash and ligament damage mitigation, but not a good one for avoiding compression injuries since it seems that it would disallow the head to move out of the way.

The Leatt (and Alpinestars neck brace) are designed to permit the head to move out of the way and then limit range of travel while at the same time directing the energy that the spine would otherwise be obliged to take up on its own to larger parts of the body. In this way, it makes the impact more survivable for the wearer.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Mine broke my collarbone. Well not my neck but my neck snapping to one side resulting in the edge of the helmet snapping my collarbone.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yeah well, that's better than not being able to control your bowel movements ... or your breathing, after the fact.

4. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

I would say that the Air-Vest would be close to the same in effectiveness for a hit on the top of the head or sides as the Leatt brace.

If we are talking about a lawn dart hit, there is a big gap between the bottom of the helmet and the top of the Leatt brace. After that gap closes due to impact, the force would be spread onto the shoulders.

Withe the collar on the air vest, when it inflates, there is no gap. Though the helmet is not hitting a solid surface, the vest collar would also spread the force onto the shoulders.

I think both devices would help to prevent collar bone breakage caused by the helmet contacting the collar bone, at the very least. I'm excited to have these new choices out there, and will be purchasing one before the season starts.

Either way, there is a lot of good protection, and I would not discourage anyone from getting either device.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Just wanted to reply directly to the "neck cant move out of the way" comment :up:

The air bag around the vest will not STOP movement, it minimizes movement. In the type of "lawn dart" accident you mention above, the force is spread to the shoulders, both front and back by the airbag system. When you compress the airbag using force from the helmet downwards the head and neck are allowed to move. The bag just minimizes the amount of VIOLENT movement, left/right, front/back and in compression.

Here is a pic of my Turn 2 Infineon Highside. I am rolling right to left at about 75 mph
    [​IMG]

Notice how my head and neck are kept in alignment, where my head (without support) would be against my left shoulder as I tumble.

Any extra protection we can have is great. I think the Leatt is a fantastic dirt bike product, I just dont see it as a "road racing" solution. I would still like to try it out here on the West Coast if anyone is going to be at the AFM or WERA events :)

6. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

the hit-air in the video that safermoto provided did not prevent forward movement. wouldn't that solve the "lawn dart" problem?

i have the spidi DPS neck vest which surrounds the entire helmet, but is separated in the front of the neck so it's like a collar. i would imagine if the force is great enough in a crash that it would flex open somewhat to allow some forward movement, but i'm not certain of this. furthermore, it's an air bag. it's cushioning/dampening movement in a controlled fashion. i'm no expert, but hopefully spidi/hit-air did their homework to provide just the right amount of support to prevent the majority of neck injuries that can be had from our type of crashes.

i deployed once and need to source some new cartridges but i might spend one of the cartridges testing my repack and testing how it feels deployed when my adrenaline isn't rushing from high-siding and getting launched 5 feet into the air. i wasn't thinking too much about the neck vest after i got up and off the track.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

The Spidi DPS is a Hit-Air bag, I have a couple of replacement bags for it in stock :up: I think it also takes our 30cc CO2

As far as forward movement the air bag allows forward and downward movement but prevents the helmet "chin bar" from contacting the collar bone area

8. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

i sent your some more pics of my cartridge and keybox (which says hit air). i was waiting for a response to know if you positively had replacement cartridges for me. did you get the photos sent last night?

9. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

I dont see any emails with attachments from last night, can you resend please? :up:

10. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

Just picked up my Hit-Air MLV vest from SaferMoto. I figure the impact protection for your back, tailbone, and hips is more valuable than the neck brace alone. During my last tumble at 125, I felt and heard my back crack in ways I don't want to experience again. I'm not gonna run out and crash test it, but if it happens, I hope it'll lessen the initial (and subsequent) impact.

If there was a way to combine the neck brace and air bag into the suit so that they don't interfere with each other, that'd be my next purchase. I'm sure it's coming (along with a whole bunch of other bionic gear that I can't wait to pick up).

Thanks for the quick shipping Alan! I'll be sure to let you know how it functions if it goes down. BTW - do you have extra tethers available?

11. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Your welcome, yes tethers are available on the site Here

12. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

glad you're ok. what type of crash? how did you impact the ground? how did you tumble/roll/slide? what kind of equipment were you wearing? why do you think the safermoto vest will help where your other equipment failed you?

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but that's a bad analogy. Gloves, boots and helmets are all sized and a set of xxx size leathers would have a wide variety of sized boots, gloves or leathers that go with it.

I was pointing out that these are large leathers companies, that spend a bunch of money on R&D, and sell other pieces of safety equipment, but both thought it was worthwhile to incorporate an airbag into their top end leather suits.

14. Sweet J

Sweet J New Member

15. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Alan,

I need some replacement cartridges! BTW, very happy with the neck vest, I don't even notice it's on!

Matthew

16. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Mathew,

Glad the vest is working for you. You can order the CO2 from the site under Accessories. Make sure you choose the correct size :up:

17. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  18. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

SaferMoto Vests

I wanted to share a email I got from a customer today:

"I was at the track this weekend, and went down late in the day, lowsiding at about 65 and landing primarily on my back and sliding. The vest definitely did it's job, and I was surprised how little impact I felt. I tightened the pull cord up to the point that it was as tight as it could be at the farthest point I hang off the bike, so I am sure that it went off as soon as my hands left the bars. When I came off the bike, my first thought was I wonder if the vest is going to work, and then when I stopped, I thought wow, that was much less painful then every other time I've tumbled. When I stood up, I tried to release the buckles and take the vest off, but it needed to deflate for a few minutes before I could remove it. That's when I realized how great the vest was, immobilizing my neck and really creating a solid buffer around my chest and back. I was really surprised with how well it worked, and went home happy to be in great shape. I've spilled

Everyone in the paddock was asking about the vest. I told them that I hope I don't have to use it, but if I did that I'm sure it would hurt less than without it, and boy was I right!!! After carefully inspecting, the vest has no damage, and I plan to re-pack it and re-use it. I had a chance to hop on my backup bike and go out, but I decided I wasn't going to ride again without it.

BEST SPORTBIKE INVESTMENT I'VE MADE TO DATE."

:up:

19. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Crash photo sequence

Got this link from one of our riders

Lea Cutshall lowside crash

Here is a link to her feedback from the crash

Rider Review

We also had one of our riders Justin Mastalka crash on the warm up lap for 600 superbike at Infineon yesterday. The NW vest stopped his helmet from touching the ground and he was able to fix the bike, re-tech with his helmet. He then ran in Formula 1 and got a third place :up:

20. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

Anyone using the vest....have you had any issues when crashing with the vest, it gets a hole worn through it due to "sliding aross the track?" Thus rendering ruining the vest?