1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NC30 vs. RC390?

Discussion in 'General' started by michael_chicago, Jul 15, 2018.

1. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

A friend of mine recently suggested that the RC390 would be the fastest 400cc bike I'd ever ridden. Well, I had a VFR400 street bike in South Africa and a really neat racebike with all carbon bodywork and I just can't imagine a 390cc single cylinder bike keeping up with a 400cc V4. My friend reckons the Honda's weight would put it at a disadvantage. Perhaps they'd be even?

So, what do you all reckon? Has anyone actually seen these bikes go head-to-head with expert-level riders?

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have both. I have no idea but the modern bits and parts availability make the RC390 the best bike, now. The Honda is absolutely a weapon albeit out of date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cajun636 likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Well the Honda easily makes 60 rwhp and 40 lb/ft stock, so at any decent sized track, I think the VFR would completely destroy the RC390. The VFR is 45 kilos heavier though, and that could certainly be an issue in favor of the KTM.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

What's current sense of the KTM in terms of reliability? Weren't people seeing overheating/head gasket issues?

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Having raced at 400 for many years I'd say no. Just looked up the weight of the 390 and it's about the same as my Kawi 400 race bike which makes 72 Hp.

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Having ridden both and owning a NC35 and also a NC29. There is no way a 390 will have anything for it the 400’s

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you want to herd goats the KTM is a better machine.....If you want to actually race the VFR should be your choice. Unless you are racing other goat herders.

K51000, Sabre699 and cajun636 like this.
  8. Newsshooter

Fixed

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yeah..that works too. :D

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

But your Kawi is probably far from stock (weight and power).

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

He needs to go on and give that to me. :D

I really need to put my 400 back together

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which Kawi 400?

Night and day difference between the new 400 and the ZXR400.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

FZR400 3TJ with a 660 build, 'for fun'.

14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

When I finish mine i will find a 390 to run at a track i go too! We had a vfr400 racing light weight endurance a couple years ago! Don’t know for sure what or was not done to it?! But they had unlimited resources and good riders. So they pretty much kicked all our butts! Cbr500 R3 Ex500 390 Fzr400 ! Was building this Vfr400 to run. But then they bumped it to BIG BIKE ENDURANCE F2!!! Dumb

15. Newsshooter

ZXR400SP, nothing like the current 400.

cajun636 likes this.
  16. Newsshooter

It was stock except for removing the street stuff and a having a beet ti exhaust system when I bought it, 330 lbs with stock wheels and tank, stock motor tuned for MR4, 70 HP. Stock is listed at 65 hp.

17. Newsshooter

You wouldn't fit, it makes an R6 feel comfy. :D

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oooooh a Beet Mr. Money Bags.

And trust me you think the ZX is bad you should get on the 250RR. LAWD That thing is cramped but fun.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"raced at 400 for many years" and "72 hp" are solid clues

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

250RR CRAMPED!!

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 likes this.