1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natchez Trace hit and run

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Jul 10, 2017.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

- The FED's (NT is a federal property) should prosecute for attempted murder, felony hit and run, and vehicular assault.
    Am I the only one to wonder what the driver was thinking? Criminal and Civil suits do not approach the penalty that this driver needs.
    Video recording of the incident.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Living on the edge is exciting. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Wow, first day on a bike and you get hit by a car. That sucks.

The driver, if true he's attempted to hit other cyclists and there's video of that too, will probably go to jail. At this point he'll throw money at the problem and it'll quietly go away.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Driver should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Rider probably should not have been riding two abreast on a highway. Is that legal on that roadway (not condoning ANY actions by the driver)?

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm assuming some here don't know what this is talking about. Of course, I can't post a link without the video...

Natchez Trace runs ~450 miles from Nashville to Natchez, MS. Its a national park/parkway open to cyclists, runners, etc. It does not allow commercial traffic - for leisure only. Some guys here were riding near the Nashville end the other day (one happened to have a Go-Pro) and caught a Volvo SUV absolutely plow one of the riders and just keep going. He posted it on Facebook, and within an hour, someone had frozen/zoomed the video and posted the guy's name, address, etc.

Turns out, he's a (well, maybe was) dean at a fairly respected private school here. They've put him on administrative leave and removed any reference to him from their website. He's been charged with a number of things locally, pending federal charges, but attempted murder isn't one of the charges.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Lawn Dart

Yes, it is legal, with posted signage on Natchez Trace only.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Damn....highest rated comment on Youtube:

"Inconsiderate, self centered liberals on bicycles could ride single file. He had it coming."

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If legal, I retract my comment about riding side by side.

9. Lawn Dart

It is squishy - every news article quotes "Federal Guidelines" about riding single file, but these signs are very visible. If it says they're allowed to use the full lane on that specific road, and federal guidelines state "single file" as a general rule, then it sort of opens interpretation. I think the sign is pretty clear though. And, regardless of how people feel about cyclists - he ran the guy over and just kept going.

[​IMG]

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Side by side is legal everywhere actually. I'm not a fan of it unless on a really rural road with a low speed limit and almost no traffic. There are times when we rode side by side but the last rider always yelled up when there was a car approaching to get everyone back in single file.

Share the road works both ways. I can't stand it when a cyclist hugs the double yellow or continues to ride two abreast when they know they're blocking traffic.

Here's the GA code:

(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast.
    (f) Any person operating a bicycle in a bicycle lane shall ride in the same direction as traffic on the roadway.

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Youtube's comments section really is one of the more stupid places you'll find on the internet. I try to avoid it because it usually just makes my head hurt.

AJ, Past Glory and caferace like this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Agree with Jed.

But, fuck that driver. Guy needs his ass beat.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've been riding for over 50 years. Never once did it occur to me to try and prove my rights to a motor vehicle. Regardless, that driver needs to spend some serious time behind bars.

cav115, Phl218 and renegade17 like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Does Venom drive a black volvo? He hates the spandex wearing leg shavers and shit.

joec, cajun636 and Lawn Dart like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm pretty sure he is a fan of the boxy but good swedemobiles...

16. Lawn Dart

Between YouTube comments and Reddit, I feel like I can see the country's collective IQ lowering from week to week. It might even be accelerating.

Patrick Hannigan likes this.
  17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It's like cyclists aren't even human.

18. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I prefer (hope?) to think it's just sampling bias.

19. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I don't see riding a bicycle around here (Nashville) on the streets. This wasn't the only guy on bicycle hit this weekend in Nashville and the other wasn't as fortunate. There are some downright murderous people driving around here and the roads are often narrow/winding. I consider 3 near-crash-avoids the "norm" for my morning commute on my motorcycle, and I'm going the same speed as traffic.

That said, I'd think Natches Trace would be one the more safe areas. It's the middle of nowhere and there is never much traffic. Its not hard to pass anything on that road. Guy must be a total dick and wanted to hit him or do a close pass to scare the cyclist to get his revenge for making him turn the steering wheel and inch to the side and back. Can't imagine he'd be slowed down in any way through there.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

decelerating?