1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR, the racing may kinda suck but...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Hooper, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I love how much respect they give to God, country, and the US military. I'm not a religious person myself but I have no problem with them always doing an invocation during the pre-race ceremonies. It actually makes me smile knowing that many on the left must be "triggered" by such a thing. :D

OT - They showed a commercial earlier for NASCAR at Sonoma Raceway. They said that they are returning to the traditional 12-turn course. Does that mean that they will be using the carousel again? An old school shot included in the commercial seemed to indicate that. That is an awesome part of that track.

K51000 and Shenanigans like this.
  2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Pfffft... NASCAR is always and always and always left, everybody knows that....

MachineR1 and tiggen like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Who watches NASCAR before the last 10% of the race? I've never heard a prayer. :D

cav115 likes this.
  4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

They just went into the last commercial break saying that Kyle Larson was Mr Highside at AMS. I'm pretty sure that means something different in NASCAR. :D

Papa, I'm not watching, watching it. I have it on TV while I'm doing household shit. :p

5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

You mean like Cole Trickle?

6. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

OMG!!! They just showed the Monster Energy girls. Now 'toe is triggered! :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

At NHMS, Legends/Bandoleros cars are part of the program at LRRS weekends. One weekend, I got the heads up that the drivers' meeting was going to be interesting, so I showed up and stood with the rest of the officials. The Race Director addressed the problem of the parents of Bandoleros drivers getting into altercations in the paddock. He stressed that respect among competitors had to be re-established before things got really out of hand. He said a good start would be for everyone to join him in the Pledge of Allegiance. He then started the Pledge, and we all joined in. I actually remembered all the words and also felt amusement as to how other people might feel about this.

8. Johnny B

Keeping a high line and passing on the outside. The dirt track equivalent would be "cushion racer".

9. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

High, wide and handsome so to speak.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Depends on the region, the high bank tracks they refer to it as the top shelf.

drop likes this.
  11. Johnny B

I remember way back when Harry Gant was on that late season roll. He was working the outside line big time. In a nutshell, going tight is the shortest distance around, but you can carry more speed staying on the outside. Gant was in his 50's when he had that streak. The bastid wasn't sweating a drop after 500 miles when they were interviewing him in Victory Lane.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  13. Spang308

If others feel similar to me, I think they screwed up with their recent formatting of the series. Now they've expanded that to the races themselves. The Chase is and always has been stupid. If they wanted every race to be important, give bonus points for a win. The stages is off the charts dumb. The "debris" cautions were bad enough. The only modern rule change I actually like is the green, white, checker that assures a race doesn't end under a yellow. I'd likely feel different if I were leading when the yellow came out. :D
    I watched more closely this year out of sheer boredom. In typical fashion, it ended up being good background noise for a nap.
    The ratings being in the shitter is no surprise. As much as I dislike it, I'm not sure if all the reformatting is to blame though. They lost a ton of stars in recent years. I always said Nascar did a brilliant job making the racers the show. Most of the big names retired in recent years. Stewart, Gordon and Earnhardt, Jr. are big losses, but they lost Carl Edwards, Kenseth and many others who had a loyal following. Too many in a short period could be driving down their ratings.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I think the retirements are definitely a contributing factor, but I may be out of touch. I use to be a fan and attended several races at Daytona and Bristol and would usually put the race on TV, even if it did lead to a nap. I haven't really kept up much in recent years. I know quite a few people that were much more avid fans and were Jr. fans as well and they haven't been watching either. I tuned in last week and barely knew who anyone was. There are a lot of young drivers but is Nascar reaching younger people with these new drivers? I really have no idea but the ratings would indicate no.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Picture of the "crowd" at the Saturday race. Weather wasn't the greatest but this is pathetic. Tickets are usually bought well in advance, too.

They seem to be training the TV crews not to show the empty stands... And they put multicolored chairs/bleachers at many tracks to simulate a crowd in distance shots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  16. Spang308

It may just be a case of a show that never was that good has been made worse and the stars that held the fans interest has moved on.
    Maybe they have priced themselves out of the market on ticket prices too.
    Either way, lowest ratings for Daytona since 1979 should be a wake up call. After all, that's their self proclaimed Super Bowl and drew under 10 million veiwers.

17. David B

David B Member

Yeah. IMO, you had your old school NASCAR fans from when it was hard core racing (no slowing down the cars for safety, no yellow flag everytime someone locks a tire for 6 ft, no contrived rules) with the likes of Earnhardt Sr., Allison, etc. Then it became a huge fad in the 90's into the early 2000's as "the place to be seen". And the fad passed and kids aren't into cars these days and they're left with the small number of hardcore fans that stuck with them through the fad. At least that's what it seems from a distance.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Maybe they should go to spec ECU....

</Sarchasm> Panther (tm)

19. David B

David B Member

Nah, they just change the rules arbitrarily for each team if anyone starts to look like they've developed an advantage. #sandbagging #penalizeexcellence

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk