1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR and confederate flags

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Oh my god. A unicorn sighting. A rational human being left in America. May miracles continue to happen.

cav115 and henry_carlson like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

See? History. This guy gets it.

The ignorant reactionaries are in desperate need of history lessons. Thank you.

Nor does anyone else, in particular the “new plantation social justice warriors” who feel they need to whitesplain to minorities on what they should be outraged over.

The public square is a museum of sorts. It’s where the heritage, good and bad, should be displayed to invite conversation, consideration and reflection.

Arguably, I agree with that, as a matter of informed choice. More on that to follow...

I believe the overwhelming majority of people can and do empathize with how that symbol makes you feel. A vocal minority wish to insulate you from ever having to few that way. Others wish the warts and scars and hairy moles of our history to remain fully in view, rendering the symbol that stood for so much evil to be rendered impotent.

Being habitually offended and drawn into debate over how it makes you feel is what gives it any power.

As a pasty-assed northerner with no heritage of slaveholding or speaking all funny like you dirty southerners do, I can’t speak to that. What I can speak to is there’s a visceral reaction to censorship.

Not so sure of that anymore...

Thank you for that. A well reasoned and appropriate response to something you personally find offensive.

Thank you for sharing your perspective. :beer:

lopitt85 likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I didn't know beac played round ball.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

And that quite simply is the viewpoint of a level-headed and well-adjusted person you have there...if you don't like what's on the TV channel you're watching, all you need to do is change the channel or turn it off (metaphorically). I'd also be willing to bet that that is actually the viewpoint of the majority of the population out there. Unfortunately these days, the majority of the population is not who gets coverage in the media since they don't usually provide the footage that gets good ratings. To your point I agree, you don't necessarily need to keep X, Y, Z statues proudly out on display, but neither should you destroy them and wipe them from the annals of history. Put them in a museum for people to see and learn from. When I went to visit the Pearl Harbor memorial about 15 years ago I was kind of surprised to see that probably 90% of the visitors there that day were Japanese, it gave me a moment of pause to really reflect on that.

Something to always remember is that the useful idiots of this country that we see on TV everyday making a mess out there are always HYPER-focused on the immediate here and now (the flavor of the SJW month), they cannot see more than 5 inches in front of their face, therefor they tend to be oblivious to both the [actual] past that brought us all here (not the one they've manufactured in their heads) as well as what the cause and effect of their actions will be going forward.....this is after all YOLO times we're living in.

To be honest this all is very reminiscent, to me anyway, of Mao's Red Guard during the Cultural Revolution. Unfortunately for those useful idiots of the CCP, years later in hindsight they look back in disgust with how they destroyed their own country and left it devoid of culture, history and tradition. Unfortunately now its too late for them and their country is ruled by a red communist fist.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/mao-little-general-horror-cultural-revolution

History is of utmost importance so that we can all learn from it and stop making the same damn mistakes over and over again. Unfortunately we live in an age of ADD and short term memory loss apparently and people forget what happened less than a year ago much less 100+ years.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    lopitt85 likes this.
  5. Venom51

As a pasty southerner, who has no idea if any of his idiot relatives from the past were ever slave owners or not, I can say that I still don't get the desire to display that flag publicy. Sure if you had relatives that fought in the war I can understand keeping one along with some artifacts that were passed down in rememberance. Along with seeing no need for it to be displayed on any government building I also could do without seeing some dumbass running around with a dozen stickered on his truck or one stuck in the stake pocket on the bed.

I'm not offended by it but it does cause the occassional "Dumbass" to come out of my mouth when passing one.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

The flag being hijacked by racists and idiots. No laws broken, so nothing could be done. Some people disagreed with it, but were helpless do anything about it. No court would have sided with them anyway. Normal people weren’t going to burn places to the ground to change that either. As I stated earlier, that flag was dying. I saw it often in my youth, but hardly at all now. It would have disappeared if left alone.

lopitt85 and pickled egg like this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This is the secret weapon that we all know about but no one ever deploys, especially the lame-stream media for obvious reasons. Racism, sexism, this-ism that-ism would all evaporate if people stopped giving them attention. It's almost as constant as gravity, as soon as you stop talking about it and giving it press, it miraculously disappears.

cav115 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wow. Prejudice much? :Poke:

:D

9. 88/532

Age old saying, the more you stir shit, the more it stinks. Some relish the smell it seems.

10. Venom51

Yes. Yes I do. I prejudge all the time. It is a character flaw of which I am aware but am almost powerless to correct. Guilty as charged.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Quite frankly, anyone that doesn't judge anything at all has no standards and is a moron.

Britt, cav115, lopitt85 and 1 other person like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wonder if Title VII recognizes that as a protected class now. ;)

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hey!

I prejudge everyone as being a moron. I’m rarely wrong. :D

cav115 likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That is certainly a safe strategy.

cav115 likes this.
  15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Shannon Miller has entered the chat...

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you look like a dumbass through some choice that you have made (pants 3 sizes too large falling down showing your ass, showing certain flags, bumper stickers and symbols, etc.) then yes, I will prejudge you to be a dumbass. Even then in the right circumstance, I might give you a chance to prove otherwise.

I try very hard not to prejudge by factors people can't change about themselves (height, skin color, etc.). I know I am not perfect, but I try.

17. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Agree with this; I don't anybody can prevent symbolism hijacking by ignorant racists. What about today? Isn't it the USA flag-waving people belligerently asking every person who speaks Spanish in a store whether they're illegal, and go home?

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Pics or it didnt happen

19. 88/532

While there is a code about the US flag, you start another conflict trying enforce it to the letter. And, you’re bringing an issue that cannot be easily solved. Trying regulate idiots is like trying to herd cats. Somethings, need time to overcome.

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I agree with you guys here in that I wouldn't have expected laws be passed for an issue like that. That would be overkill and overreach.

I would just expect that people would say "hey guy, dont tarnish my (insert historical/heritage item here) with you racist ideology.

And I think true Americans overwhelmingly tell the idiots screaming "speak english" while waiting American flags that they look like idiots. The USA doesn't have an official language and people here are allowed to speak any language they damn well please.