1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N-Tech Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by theJrod, May 3, 2009.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

From what I've seen that is track depended.

2. KFG_Racing

KFG_Racing New Member

Tire should look like it does when new, no tearing, no chunks, nice smooth surface with some balling, just like Chris said. If you have that right, then it is getting the setup (geometry, valving) right so you can get the most out of the tire.

3. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

*** Update ***

Ran my two practice sessions and two races on Saturday with the same tire. The morning practice sessions saw some more tearing, but like KFG said it was very likely due to the cold track/soft compound. I ran the 600 Supersport race on it after taking a few clicks of rebound out. Taking the rebound out made the wear a little worse, and I was spinning it up out of every left-hand corner. I still set a personal best laptime though!

So for the 750 Supersport race, Barry @ KFG flipped the tire and we adjusted the pressue slightly. Put my rebound back where it was, and the tire cleaned up nicely. The tearing was vastly reduced, traction was still a bit of an issue, though I think we can attribute this to my geometry. Set another personal best in this race. Weather was a good bit warmer, which I believe helped out with the 7704 compound.

For Sunday's Superbike races, I had KFG spoon on a fresh set of 6680 N-tech slicks. Barry advised adding a mm or two of ride height in the rear to offset the flatter swingarm angle the slicks would provide. I made no other changes, and went out for 600 SB. I set yet another personal best in that race. But again, I was having traction issues with the tear. No sign of tearing, but I would spool up right as I was just starting to get on the throttle after the apex. These slicks are like glue, so this is why we're thinking it's a geometry issue. For the 750 SB race I removed about 4mm of ride height from the shock, thinking a little less swingarm angle would help. While rear traction was improved slightly by this change, the bike felt sluggish in the transitions and required serious muscle to get it to change direction (shutup freddy spencer!). After picking Barry's brain some more, we think rear ride height was probably fine before, but dropping the front ride height might get us where we need to be (slightly flatter swingarm angle, but without losing any flickability).

Thanks Barry @ KFG Suspension/Dunlop tires for all the help this weekend! If I can keep setting personal bests with the rear spooling up like that, I can't wait until we get it dialed. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  4. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I went to beaverun yesterday on a tire that I flipped because it was already tearing. (not the same tire I showed pics of earlier) It was the 7483 compound from last year. I ran my settings from my last race weekend and sure enough it started to tear again. I then added rebound (3 clicks) and it started to clean up and I got better grip. I then added LSC to help with squat. I was expecting to get a few sessions out of this rear before having to change. Instead I ran it for 2.5 tanks of fuel and it cleaned up great. I have no tread left, but wore great. Surprisingly, grip was very consistent. I lost confidence in the front before the rear. These tires had 3 sprints, Sat and Sun Practice a SOLO 20 and a full open trackday and about 6 heat cycles.

I ran 19.5 HOT in the rear which was 22-23 directly off the track. Ambient temp was mid to upper 70s.

5. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

6. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

I have not seen exactly that before but I know it is BAD. That isn't tyre wear, that is a failure in my book. Your tyre supplier should warranty that (in an ideal world :))

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What is the date code on the tire and how was it stored this past winter? What tire pressures where you running?

8. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

I sent the pics to Dunlop and they are sending me a replacement tire and a call tag to send this tire back to them. Stand up company!