1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 2008 Town Car

Discussion in 'Other' started by CafeRacer, Jul 29, 2023.

1. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Everything about the experience is from a time that’s not that long ago but miles from our modern world.

The low beltline, large, flat hood and hood ornament govern the view from the driver’s seat. The bong of the seatbelt indicator. The whirr of the starter. The slightly agricultural feel to the column mounted gear indicator. The numb, linear and definitely hydraulic steering.

It’s a 2008 but it was already a dinosaur when new. This car is from a time before social media. Before taking your shoes off to get on a plane. Before the financial crisis and the pandemic. Before text messages and Slack and being reachable 24/7. Before screens. Before the algorithm. Before you were the product.

I buddy came back from driving it and said, “So, it is just nostalgia?”

The only thing he got wrong was the word, “just”.

It’s domestic business class on a 737 out of Cleveland. In a good way. It’s an American steakhouse with red leather booths that hasn’t changed its menu in 25 years and the food is… fine. In a good way.

While I often find myself driving significantly over the speed limit in my 911 – often alarmed by the closing speeds on off ramps – for some reason in the Town Car, I’m often 10 mph under. Wafting down the road, it’s just never in a hurry – even if everyone else is.

While manufacturers are working hard to put drama back into cars with modes and animations and lighting and synthesized sounds, this car is engineered to take away as much drama as possible.

It’s from the glorious period after they made cars good and reliable and before they realized they could monetize the attention you weren’t spending worrying if you’d make the journey safely and comfortably.

It reminds me of my grandpa and the cars he drove. It reminds my wife of her grandpa and the cars he drove. It reminds everyone of their grandpa and the cars he drove.

It also fits in everywhere from the Barrio to Beverly Hills.

Don’t underestimate the significance of nostalgia.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-lincoln-town-car-13/

Attached Files:

2. backho

backho Well-Known Member

I love reading posts like this! It’s another journalistic pearl in a sea of drivel!

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I love these road ships! Throw it in go and eat miles.
    Bump!