1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 vs Hypermotard 821

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Jun 22, 2016.

1. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ridden or own both? I need a new street bike and am torn between these 2. The hyper seems like the way to go, but the power and distance capability of the multi is enticing.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't they make a hyper-strada? Best of both worlds.

3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Assuming we're talking current models :

The 821/937 Hypers are incredibly fast, fun, agile albeit a bit twitchy motorcycles and geared very very short. I wouldn't want to be on the road on one for a long time. The seating position is comfy, suspension is underwhelming on anything other than the SP model with the Ohlins forks. The 821 Hyper SP has Marzocchi forks with very poor damping characteristics. Tons of fun to ride, but make no mistake, this is NOT touring machine.

The Multi is the jack of all trades. Incredibly fast engine - 140whp and nearly 95ft lbs of torque. The DVT delivers torque everywhere and has a sweet pull up top. Brakes on the S model are incredible as is the technology with a wonderful instrument cluster, LED lighting and electronic suspension that actually works well. This bike completely defies it's weight once rolling and I've ridden them as fast as I ever need to ride on the street and felt confident while doing so. If you need one bike to do it all, this is without a doubt it if your requirements include 'it's fast.'

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I bought a new Hypermotard 939 SP in March and I absolutely love it!!!

5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

So I own a 821 SP and demoed a multi yesterday.

The multi is a much bigger bike, the weight difference is noticeable. I felt like you sat "in" the multi rather than on top like the hyper. If you've ever ridden a dirty bike the hyper ergos will be instantly familiar. I also had my hyper out at the track last weekend and was dying for more HP... 50 more HP would make it the perfect bike... But then it would basically be a multi. The front end of the hyper can get a bit twitchy at speed, you've got no wind protection. There is a price difference between the two. I felt like the hyper has better brakes (prob due to the weight) the new multi gauges are sweet with tons of info.

I really wanted a pikes peak, wanted to like it, but after test riding it and a monster r back to back I left the dealer with a monster 1200r... There's the 60hp I was missing!!

If I were going to do two up touring I would have gotten the multi.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Having not ridden either one of damn things, I find it necessary make a perfectly worthless post about this issue.:)

Before I would buy that Multi, I'd damn sure check out all of the bitching on ducati.ms. Seems to be a lot, but I haven't read them all. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/

I suppose that the places that you ride should be a major factor. I like the versatility and simplicity of the Hyper, once I installed the big tank. I can't see where h.p. would be a big factor, just being a street bike. Two sets of wheels is nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a Multi 1200 and Hyper 1100 - not sure if the new Hypers are smaller or same for seat size and the like but basically for running around town and solo short trips the Hyper is great. For 2-up and longer trips the Multi is flat out perfect. Both are great bikes just depends on what you want. I do know people who have gone cross country on a Hyper and loved it. I also know people who have gone to South America and back on Multis and loved it :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On thing on the Hyper - what's the new tank size? Mine originally couldn't get 100 miles on a tank so I went larger, a lot larger.

9. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

As others have already said, if you're doing a ton of two up touring, the multi is the way to go. I do 2-1/2 hour round trips to work on my 821 Hyper and absolutely love it. Perfect bike for city, back road, canyon riding. If you are doing a lot of 70 mph+ riding, you will want to put a screen on it. I put on a SC Project high mount exhaust, MWR filter and power up kit and a Rapid Bike EVO module. It makes it like a completely different bike to ride. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired, but is fine for me as a commuter and twisty road bike. I would highly recommend them. Mongo sold me on it a little over a year ago and I have put 5,000 miles on it since. Great bike.

[​IMG]

10. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

We just took a SP in on trade that we put some bad ass Pirelli MT60's on! The liquid cooled Hypers are awesome!

With that being said, if you're going to cover some distance and/or ride 2 up, the Multi is your bike.

Attached Files:

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Let me know when you're ready for suspension Chris. Bike's looking good.

Chris likes this.
  12. Chris

Thanks Kevin! I'll be in at some point so you guys can help me sort out the shock and forks!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I has Ohlins put in springs and cartridges in the Hyper - wow.

Now I need springs in/on the Multi. Have them just have to yank it apart and take the stuff to the track (or drop the whole setup at Hueys and pay him to do it :D )

14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

They also look sweet with TKC80's... Here's mine

[​IMG]

Reckless_Kelly and jrsamples like this.
  15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Don't know about "new" tanks. You talking new stock on a new bike or the the replacement for the 1100s? For the old bikes, that CA Cycleworks says 6.4 gal, but is 6.5. It is the shit, because running out of gas 4 times sucks.

16. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

Here's my old SP..
    [​IMG]

17. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Stopped by my local dealer to check both of them out and I think the hyper will be the one I end up with. For 80% of my riding the hyper will be perfect. I'm just hoping I don't miss big bike power too much.

Love seeing the hypers with knobbies as well. I just sold an s4r and tiger 800, so I'm hoping the hyper is a little bit of each.

Chris likes this.
  18. Chris

Post up some pictures if you end up pulling the trigger.

19. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2013 Hyper SP a few weeks ago, I had ridden the multi before and really want one of those, but the Hyper is amazing for the majority of the riding that I do (commuting and sporty rides). Im planning a trip up to WNC in early Aug to reacquaint myself with the curvy roads up there, and will report back on it's abilities after that. I plan on doing a couple of trackdays at Jennings this fall, and will probably want a little (lot) more horse power, but I guess I'll just have to learn to work on maintaining corner speed...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm curious about the new ones. I have the 1100 an did the CA tank. Love that thing - just have to watch routing the wiring under the seat bracket, couple of pieces of fuel line on the bracket helps keep you from shorting things out.

I only ran out once and had to push it to the gas station. Short by a few hundred yard - of course it was uphill :D