1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Neck Fusions

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Well, looks like Ill need another fusion in a few years. My right arm was having issues but now so is my left, at a much more aggressive rate. Recent mri confirms; c5-c6 disk bulging, badly since my c6-c7 was fused three years ago.

Hoping some cortisone shots scheduled at the end if the month will delay the inevitable.

Does anyone in here ride with two fusions? What can i expect?

Thanks in advance.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Best of luck to you.....I got nothing else..but best wishes.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

K51000 likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think you might be that much harder to knock out afterwards so there is that. Hope it goes well.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Don’t know what to tell you. I broke my C5 and C7 and experienced some arm numbness mostly when sleeping. I had some issues with disc bulging but the doctors kept telling me to do physical therapy and neck exercises as once they are fused there is little recourse etc. This was 22 years ago or so. I’ve lost ROM but very little neurological effects as far as I can tell. Winter sucks. Good luck man.

K51000 likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Ahem..........

:D

418, cha0s#242 and noles19 like this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Perspective is everything........or not. :D

7. Ducti89

Thanks guys. Garth, im having the same issue with the numbness only mine is so bad its waking me up at night

Are you still riding?

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

A little dirt riding. Harley about everyday. Nothing on track for a long time now. My biggest issue is ROM. Probably lost 25% or so, but otherwise I don’t get numbness on a regular bases.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Must...resist... :D

K51000 and auminer like this.
  10. Ducti89

Ok. Thank you. I appreciate the insight.

11. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

In 2004, I received a cervical fusion in the c6/c7 area of my spine due to a bone spur that was growing in my vertebrae and putting pressure on my spinal cord. Doctors had to remove the disc, shave out the bone spur, and fuse the C6/C7 joint. I had no problem at all healing from that surgery and riding / racing motorbikes. I had a minor restriction in looking up through my windscreen when tucked, but it wasn't a big deal. Fast forward to April 2018, and I've got pain again in my left arm/shoulder, so I go and see the Doc that performed my 1st fusion....... and he says that "I'm right on time" to be visiting him again. I asked, "what does that mean?" and he explained that when a fusion is performed, it places extra strain on the joints above and below the original fusion --- and that I would now need what is known as a 3 level ACDF procedure because the discs between those joints have deteriorated. Last April, I had the procedure done and am now fused C4/C5/C6/C7 -- it was a surgery that was much more involved than my first fusion, and took a full year to heal (I'm 57 and heal slower than I used to). My movement when looking left or right is somewhat limited, and now involves using my neck and sometimes my torso to get a full left/right view. I still ride street bikes without a problem .... but haven't yet gone back to the track.
    Good luck to the OP ... feel free to PM with any questions.

12. Ducti89

Wow. The good news is i dont think mine will be that extensive but im an active guy, 2 ice hockey leagues and a lot of track time so i expected some abuse to take place with the fuse with regards to other discs. Im 39 now so i estimate, on the current path, 44 for the next fusion.

13. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Yup, both C4/5 and 5/6 are fused. One with a cadaver bone and pins, the other with a stem cell disk and pins. I had problems on the right side with bulging discs that created tingling and downright paralyzing pain in my neck and trap area. Since surgery, I have been great, although I do have a bit of weakness compared to the left arm. No riding limitations at all.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Ducti89

Awesome to know. Im not at the paralyzing pain yet but its on its way.

15. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would let the pain get too unbearable before having the surgery. As I understand it, permanent damage can occur to nerves that are impaired for too long of a period of time.

K51000 likes this.
  16. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

As an active duty military guy at the time, the process of elimination had to occur first, ruling out Thoracic Outlet syndrome, etc. then, the EMG process, MRIs, steroid injections too. Relief after surgery was immediate though and I’m glad I did it, both times!

K51000 likes this.
  17. Ducti89

Im going to see how a round or two of injections work. If i find that i need multiple injections from this point to next year this time, ill seriously have to consider surgery and probably call it a career in my job.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Seriously though, good luck on any course of action you take.

Ducti89 likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Thank you!