1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mtn biking trail suggestions--North Ga or Western NC

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

looking for some suggestions on some recommended trails in the north ga area or western nc. i've ridden most everything in ga, except bear creek, bull mountain, or unicoi as far as the northern trails. also ridden tsali a bunch. any other trails, maybe bent creek, black mountain that some of you nc mtn bikers ride a lot? i've looked at bent creek reviews a lot, and it seems to have a ton of options. if i make the trip up, just want to get the best ride i can. thanks for any suggestions.....

2. cowboy600rr

cowboy600rr Well-Known Member

Tsali is supposed to be a blast. One of my buddies goes down every once in a while to ride there. I haven't been to Bent Creek yet but my teammate that race and ride there have said they like it. Definitely worth checking out from my understanding.

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i've ridden all the loops at tsali, its pretty easy technically. the trails were severly overgrown when i went in the spring. just wondering what else out there that may be interesting....

4. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Fontana Dam is pretty dope. Great single track with some great climbs. Any where around Brevard is good. Laurel Mtn trail near Asheville Airport is awesome if you climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and bomb down Pilot Rock. Tsali is kinda like mtn biking on sidewalks due to everyone and their mother riding it.

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I live next door to Tsali and Fontana. Ride them alot, especially Tsali. I race(Sport 50+, 12 hour endurance, etc) mtbs currently so I'm pretty active.

Tsali is(was) smooth and fast singletrack. A little tech here and there, but mostly flowing contour line stuff. They are dig'n up the entire 40 miles right now, and its terrble. Wide, soft red clay, and huge waterbars where they wern't needed. All cut back now, which was badly needed.

Fontana isn't ridden much, and is a foot deep in new fallen leaves right now. Techy with big climbs tho. Great race course. Just rode it last week.

N Ga? THE best ride imo is Stanley Gap(aka Rich mtn). Do it as a 'out and back'. All tough steep singletrack. Connected to it is Flat Creek. Great add-on 6 miles descent and climb out. Alot like Pisgah. About 22 miles total.

Also Pinhoti 1,2,3 sections that spur off Bear Creek and go up to the top of Fort Mtn(sport bike haven). Do it as an out and back. Considered the best area in total for all around less techy but still true mtn biking in N Ga. About 30 miles worth.

THE BEST riding east of the Miss river is nearby Pisgah above Brevard NC, just south of the BRP, about an hour east of Tsali. 290 miles of trails. Some super techy w miles of climbs and descents. The best loop I know of the Squirrel Gap loop with Black Mtn. Bring your legs tho. Classic rides are Daniel Ridge, Cove Creek, Butter Gap, Sycamore Cove, Long Branch, Laural Mtn, etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010