1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Memphis, need advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Trinity Rx7, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

I am transferring/got a promotion at work that will force me to move to Memphis. Other than don't move there, what are the good parts or surrounding cities that are good and safe to live in Memphis. While there interviewing most suggested a concealed weapons permit so that's encouraging:wow:

2. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Memphis sucks. Bartlett isn't bad. Germantown is better.

My ex and two kids live in Bartlett.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  3. grantourin_90

grantourin_90 Well-Known Member

Buy a gun lol

4. bus

bus Monkey with a football

:stupid:

5. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Moving to Memphis

Don't...

6. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

There are still some nice areas in Shelby County . . .Germantown, Collierville, Arlington. I liked Collierville, but they're all crowded and expensive. A LOT of people working in Memphis live to the east in Fayette County and to the south in DeSoto County, Mississippi. ( Don't even slow down going thru West Memphis, AR ) Expect more to move out with the upcoming school consolidation mess. I lived in DeSoto County for almost 20 years and still work there a little, so i'm biased in that direction. The whole area's economy was booming before the recession hit, and folks were building everywhere, which means there are a lot of pretty nice, new houses sitting empty now. I probably wouldn't mind working in Memphis, but i sure wouldn't want to live there.

(And the part about buying and carrying a gun . . . do it.)

7. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

...fuck with Jason Lee.

8. Trinity Rx7

What about tracks with a reasonable distance of memphis?

9. Rings

Rings New Member

My father lives in Fayette(sp) county lots of little towns out there that are NICE, he has some 5 acres outside of Moscow. The commute time sucks but he enjoys where hes at. Collierville is nice, but expensive. I was told that Shelby county property taxes are the fastest rising in the country...just alil fyi!

Olive branch and Horn lake I spent many a summer in and were nice, I think I prefered DeSoto county to his new place tho!

Definately get a CCL and carry all the time, everyone else does! If you can get your CCL in TX and transfer to TN as I was told they are more strict on TN testing

10. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

In what part of Memphis will you be working? How far are you willing to commute?

As far as tracks go, Nashville will be the closest followed by Barber and Tally. Memphis Motorsports Park has a new owner & WERA held events there at one time...............not sure if it would be up to today's safety standards though.

11. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Memphis could barely meet the safety standards back then. Not even close today.

What part of town would you be working in?

I am from Memphis, though I now live outside of Nashville, so I can give you some insight too.

12. Trinity Rx7

I will be working very near the airport. I dont mind around a 30 minute drive each way if it gets me nice reasonable place.

13. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

I admit its pretty bad here. Compared to other cities, Memphis is probably the biggest shit hole. Nashville is the only real road course that's within 3 hours. Rumors has it that the new owners of MIR ( Memphis Internation Raceway) are going to build a completely new road course. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

The back roads here arn't any good, unless you start to make trips out to east Tn. Crime is pretty bad as usual, everyones right on getting a gun. lol

I live in Bartlett which is a stones throw away from Memphis. It's a real good location, really close to the mall and wolfchase. The ghetto seemed to skip over us.

If you have not decided where to live:
    Bartlett: I like it, Bartlett police do their job very well.
    Cordova: I work and deliver food in Cordova, Avoid it! (Crime has risen lately)
    Germantown: Old white people with money.
    Collierville: Nice and Fancy, but expensive living.

Edit, Just saw your screen name. Our car scene sucks as well. Check out TractionOptional.com mainly a drift forum, but the best local forum period.

14. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I agree pretty much with what tearlessJ says. I would add a little more.

Working down by the airport, I would highly recommend looking in N. Mississippi for living. There is an income tax in MS ( No Income Tax in TN) but you would be a stones throw away from your work, and avoid most of the mess in Memphis. Otherwise I would suggest looking out east, and then your commute goes from 10-15 minutes to probably close to 45 minutes with traffic.

Southaven, Olive Branch, Hernando are the three cities in N. MS that I would look at first.

Good Luck

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

don't commit to play basketball at Memphis if Calipari is coaching.....or your wins will be vacated.

Have fun and good luck!!

16. tearlessj

tearlessj Well-Known Member

Yea, My cousin lives out in South Haven Ms. It's about 10 minutes away from and airport and a really nice area to live in.

17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'll have to throw one more, "don't do it" in there. Hell, quit your job if they're forcing you to move there. :p

18. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Remember, it's hard out there for a pimp.

19. Find another job and stay where you are.

20. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

I've lived here for 18 years, glad to help if I can. I don't necessarily disagree with anything that's been said, but having raised two kids here, my first question is do you have kids? And if you have kids, can you afford private schools? It's important because it makes a big difference in what your options are. And if you don't, how old are you, are you married, and what interests do you have besides cars/bikes?