1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting tires with Coca-Cola?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jun 17, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's definitely a new one for me. I had never heard that before.

Apparently, the Dunlop tires are very difficult to mount on Moto2 wheels and using soap is suspected to be a contributor to tires rotating on the wheels. So some mechanics have been using Coca-Cola to mount tires. It gets sticky when it dries up, and helps prevent the problem.

Am I the only one who had never heard of that trick? :D

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Never heard of that one, but I have seen people use hairspray on grips.

3. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

If you use Diet Coke it makes them lighter too.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Diet coke doesn't get sticky as it has no sugar

5. Never heard of it. Good idea though.

Of course, they could use coke too, and it would give them extra strength to mount the tires. :D

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wonder what the shear resistance of Coca Cola is.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Im gonna try that tonight....

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can see that working. When I was racing R/C with one of the local groups here in Atlanta the organizers would get coke syrup and after blowing off the area of the parking lot and laying that weekends track configuration it would then be sprayed down with coke syrup to bind any left over dust together and improve grip.

It essentially becomes a glue when it dries as anyone that's ever left some spilled on the counter to dry would be aware.

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My wife spilled diet coke in the console of my truck. It's sticky.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I heard that years ago with some enduro guys but thought they were just f@ckin' with people.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

hmmm, i sometimes use brake cleaner and a match to mount 'em, but coke doesn't seem to be the worst idea...

12. I wonder what the long-term effects of using cola as a mounting lube would be on the wheels? It's mildly corrosive, yes?

I'm sure the Moto2 teams don't particularly care, as spare wheels are easily available to them.

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Old news.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

As long as the powder coat layer isn't compromised it should be fine.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I can't see that happening.

Now Redbull maybe

16. sdg

sdg *

There is an actual tire mounting product which I have used called Slip-Tac which advertises the same effect.

No way in hell would I use coke.

17. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

when I use to race BMX back in the day we raced inside a old grocery store that had polished concrete floors. They sprayed it with coke syrup and belt dressing and you could drag knee in the corners with stadium tires. Hell, a black groove would appear in the tight ones.

18. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Isn't that what they put on the start line for the drag cars at IRP? That shit was wicked slick in the rain. If the bikes had tc back then they would surely just shut down.

19. i wouldn't use coke on wheels. we used to coke on our bmx rims when the pads wouldn't stick anymore we would put coke on the rim. it worked like a champ but when you cleaned the rims the chrome would come straight off.

20. Racer34

Racer34 Member

Seeing as they wash EVERYTHING with soap and water all of the time, it would probably have no effect....