1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting some new rubber?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mxer485, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mxer485

Mxer485 Well-Known Member

Hey guys quick ? just want some info on wat you guys think... I guess I should start with the basics i ride a 07 GSXR 600 with ohlins triple clicker in the rear and 20mm ohlins kit in the front set up by ken at superbike suspension in IL. I have been doing track day for 2yrs now and currently running front group I pace and could have moved up to A group the last couple days but had just gotten the suspension done and wanted to get everything settled and set up before moving up. I started off with 2ct's and liked those alot but the last couple of sets i was running were bt-002 r/s both of these tires i liked alot but started to feel there limits on the last couple of days. Figuring it time to take the step up to some dot races or slicks. I did go ahead and buy some warmers and a spare set of rims this winter. I was planning on running a PRC/PR5 combo but was wondering if I would go with a set of slicks if I would get any better life out of a set. Just wondering what you guys think would be the best bet before i mount a set up and have the suspension reset for the differnt rubber. Thanks alot for all the Help:beer::beer:

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes.. try the NEW michelin's..
    http://www.jenningsgp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16628
    The old version (prC, pr3-4-5) will be discounted, and are decent tires if you wanna save some money but the NEW Michelins ROCK! Totally new race rubber, dual compounds front AND rear. $160 and $230 from trackside distributors. the 2ct you were on were not race tires, they were sport/trackday tires. The new line is awesome.

3. Mxer485

Thanks!!!!!!! Think I might get a set of the PRC/PR5 combo to start off with and wait and see what the new best combo is after sum guys give them a test and post there thoughts on them:D:D

4. MELK-MAN

new... old... new... old... :confused:

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You can also try some BT-003's. They have been working really good for us, last a long time, and you can get them for $370-$383(depending on 180 or 190 rear) delivered.

6. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I'm with Melka on this one. The new Michelins are da bomb. But, for all intents and purposes, the Pr-C/5 should do you a good service, they will save you a bit of money, and last a bit longer than say a C/3 combo. I still prefer to race long sprints on a C/5, and will until there aren't anymore.

Good luck with whatever you do!:up:

7. Mxer485

Does STT carry the new michlens yet? I have been on there site a couple times havnt found anything about them at all.... where have you guys been getting you new sets from?

8. MELK-MAN

Mote WILL have them, he was at the big pow-wow in Las Vegas with all the tire distributors Im pretty sure. You will likely only be able to get the new tires from trackside guys like Walt, Frank, Tommy, Monte, etc. Walt has them now, Monte and others may too. Frank Kinsey HAS them for sure and will be bringing them to us for the opening FL region race this weekend. They can be shipped and Frank discounts the mounting fee so you can have someone else mount them. (10 per tire)
    You likely wont see anything about them on websites just yet..CALL them. Frank will be discounting the old styles (c,d,e,3-4-5). 321.267.4787

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

I also have a GSXR600 (06) with Ohlins triple, plus K-tech 20mm fork kit. I've used Pirelli/Metzeler and Michelins on it. Hated the Pirelli medium DOT front, liked the Metzeler soft DOT rear.

Far and away, the Michelin S1246A front is the tire to get. It sticks in temps from sub-freezing to sub-Saharan but wears like iron. Unless you do a cubic shitload of trackdays, you could easily run the whole year on one tire. This tire gives me so much confidence I'm switching my other bike to Michelins.

I've had good traction from the Michelin PR-E and S1847C rears. The PR-E wore great at Miller but got roasted in a day at my local track. The 18/67 slick rears are taller than the 180 DOT rears and jack up the ride height a bit.

10. MELK-MAN

good info. THe 46a slick front has gone up in price from what im told..$184 or so now, but for sure a GREAT tire. I used all year with a DOT pr3 rear.

11. Mxer485

What tire compond is the 46A?

12. MELK-MAN

the kind that works..REALLY well:)
    It is a bit firmer carcass than the 47a slick and maybe 1 shade harder too.