1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Bodywork

Discussion in 'Tech' started by socalrider, Nov 13, 2009.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

So i have searched through tons of pages of threads with the word bodywork in it... and have yet to find a good set of instructions for a first time person installing race bodywork. i have the instructions from the mfg but they arent too detailed.

i recently picked up a set of new hotbodies body work with a superbike tail, and am installing it on my 07 gsxr 750.

i have a vortex fairing stay, with dzus fasteners, but havent drilled the holes yet in the upper.

first question, do i retain the stock air ducts and clip them to the inside of the body work? is that the only support they will have, and is that enough?

second, how do you attach the seat pad to the tail section?

third, how do you attach the tail section to the bike? the two "rear" bolts i can get to line up, but there are 4 indents in the seat area that even if i drill holes, i dont see that there is anything for them in the underseat/battery area to run a bolt to? the stock seat has loops that take a bolt horizontally through.

Anyone who has done this can shed any light on the topic? thanks.

2. Former

Former Well-Known Member

FWIW - My 1st time mounting my plastics I just eyed it and marked where to drill--not too bad of a job for a 1st timer.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have the fairings mounted and held by a friend while I drill the holes.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Its hotbodies, if you think its gonna slip right on and you can drill and attach, think again. :crackup: Hope you have a good dremel too.

4. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

everyone does it slightly different. normally, you want to mount it up and mark where to drill. then, drill. then, mount and fasten. upper first, then lower to upper, then tail. fender is super easy. most importantly, take your time and be patient. you will f it up if you try to rush and/or get frustrated. check out youtube for videos and i believe sportbiketrackgear.com has some instructional videos.

5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i know it isnt that easy, and i do have a dremel haha. im just confused as to some of the parts that i asked about, there arent even bolts or mounting points on the bike where they have bolt "indents".

6. g685

g685 Active Member