1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Well, I have been out of mtn bike racing for nearly a decade. I had a Cannondale at one point and got CODA bar ends that had a slight anatomical curve that fit my hand perfectly. I used those on every subsequent mountain bike I rode. I doubt any of the companies are around now that we had back in the 90s, and 00s........maybe profile is still around.

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You guys are climbing? :Poke:

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

You have to earn those downhills.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That's what they make lifts for! :beer:

I'm only joking. Bike parks don't make a ton of sense to me. Like I told my friend, I bike for exercise and fun. If I'm only doing the downhill, I may as well head to the track instead.

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

Newb question... Can the SRAM hydraulic brake levers/master cylinders simply be swapped side to side so I can have the front brake on the right, like normal people, or is it more involved than that?

Yes, I understand the reasoning behind having them opposite of a motorcycle, but getting put over the bars isn't something I necessarily fancy.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Think you just swap the hoses and you’re good to go from what I’ve read.

I’ve thought about doing this but I never really have any problem going back and forth between the motorcycle setup and the bike setup. I use a lot more rear brake on the mtb too.

Sweatypants likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

My Intense 5.5 EVP frame's gotta a divot in it...from the fookin' rear brake cable wearing against it.

10. sternsi

sternsi Well-Known Member

Just swap the hoses

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A lil bit as you'll have to bleed the brakes once you get done swapping the lines from side to side

12. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Raced hundreds of races across the midwest from 1992-2002. I think I snagged one once in low speed technical stuff. Otherwise, these are so much better for anatomically better position for the hands and chest when climbing, even for another hand position during the flats, like road cyclists riding on the shifter/brake hoods.

stickboy274 likes this.
  13. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

I run these on all my flat-bar bikes: https://togs.com/

[​IMG]

They don't provide the drastically different hand position like actual large bar ends do but it's enough of a change to relieve the wrists a bit and increased leverage for climbing. Plus, you're still near the levers for a quick shift or brake.

14. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I had never heard of these before. Interesting.

15. eggfooyoung

Really? How long you been ridin, broski?

TurboBlew and sharky nrk like this.
  16. sharky nrk

road bikes since 2009 and MTB since 2015?

17. sharky nrk

and legitimately have never seen (or at least noticed) a set on a bike in real life at the trails

18. eggfooyoung

That was a joke man. I said the same thing a page back and got the same question. I was just picking on thrak410.

thrak410 likes this.
  19. sharky nrk

^^ lol - no worries. I will turn up the gain on my beeb joke/sarcasm pickup lol.

20. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I have a silly question..

Have any of you MTB vets who race/track day motorcycles as well, considered swapping the brakes on your MTB? That way the front brake is on the right and the rear is on the left.

I made this thread 32 pages ago, but I still feel like a super newb. I have been purposely NOT adding upgrades or anything on my Trek Roscoe 7 until I feel like I can benefit from it, or it will help with ergo/comfort.

Although, I don't think that will last for long.. lol I want to try some different bars, and I feel like I may be riding a bit harder than what the stock brakes can handle. During some "fast" downhill sections I can absolutely feel them fade.

Also, after a few trips to RAY's MTB park, and getting a lot more comfortable flying through the air, I want to build a park/dirt jump bike. :D