1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My Spire got in. 31.2 pounds as pictured with pedals. Actually lighter than my Megatower even going with the much heavier Fox 38 and X2.

[​IMG]

Large XT
    Enve M6 Stem
    One up carbon bar. 35 mm rise
    Trickstuff Direttissima brakes
    XTR rotors (203mm)
    XTR Cassette
    Sramano AXS
    Berk Carbon seat
    Berd TR27 wheels laced to DT Swiss 240's
    Michelin Wild Enduro's, front and rear. (@MELK-MAN would be proud)
    Deity Tmac pedals
    Eewing cranks

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

52t. and thanks. i haven't used it so far, but nice to know its there. on the ups and downs with the other bike around here, i was in the top 3 gears a lot. 2 smaller up front, oval instead of round, and the big cassette in the rear and I'm finding myself more in the middle of the cassette, which makes sense and was what I was hoping for.

Time to deal in the comp/reb and then take this badboy to Whistler next year and see what it can do foreal.

sdg likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

that thing is fuckin DOPE! did you ano the crank arms yourself? or they offer that now? its a great match to the matte purple.

4. shakazulu12

No, those are Titanium Eewings. They had a limited edition Tye-Dye colorway and I managed to snag a used set. Crazy light and stiff. I was worried the coloring would end up being too much, but it's a lot more subtle in person and just kinda fits really well.

https://canecreek.com/product/eewings-tie-dye/

Prince logo for the frame coming up soon:crackup:

Sweatypants likes this.
  5. Sweatypants

lol yea i only ever seen them raw. nice. haha i bought all the stuff to ano ti in my basement. wasn't sure if you went that far yourself too haha.

6. shakazulu12

Oh no, going full dentist build on this one:crackup:

Though I'm going to redo the wrap a bit. Shop did it for me, but I want more coverage. Let's be real, this thing is going to hit the ground a lot.

Future plans may include a coil shock and dual crown fork. Based on my friend's bikes, I don't expect the Fox 38/X2 combo to go that long without needing warranty service. And it's really not that much more weight to eliminate the problem.

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Damn, look at this baller w/ the eewings.

8. Sweatypants

dude, i got the full coverage Ride Wrap kit, the coverage on it is REAL tight as far as completeness and tolerances. it was like 27 pieces or something. like to the point where if you start a piece like 2-3mm off mark you'll end up trimming a tiny bit. it took me like 3-4 hours. if you've ever put graphics/vinyl on a racecar or bike fairings before and get the general jist of where to start relating to contour lines and curves, you can do the kit yourself. they give you everything... cleaning solution, microfiber, squeegee (sp?), solution for application. just buy that.

i didn't do the fork cause i dunno i don't care. i DID however use Slik Graphics for the matching rim and fork graphics though because i'm an asshole and i couldn't resist. :beer:

9. shakazulu12

Yeah, I have the full kit sitting on the workshop bench. I'm out with a separated shoulder for another month or so. So I have time to set aside and do it proper. The shop slapped on some protection for me, but it's not the full monty and I think I would rather invest the time into it. I've done it before, and not looking forward to it. But it only needs to happen once. Especially because the frame comes out in a point on the sides. I can see that getting scratched to hell really easy.

I'm digging the bling you did though! There are a few other parts I'm keeping my eyes open for. Also got a Commencal DJ bike for the indoor bmx park over the winter. Looking forward to riding it a ton and really upping my skills for next summer. Unfortunately, got injured right before the local enduro race to finish off the season. But plan to enter quite a few races next year.

10. Sweatypants

man I had a DJ bike for a minute that was rad. I never used it. Sold it. Now I want another. Also afraid I'll never use it. I've been eyeing that Canyon one that's like cream and brown with a Circus on it for like $1100, just ride it til whatever breaks and replace as needed. I dunno though. I went to Ray's once and had a blast, and there's 3 local jump parks, but I'm hesitant.

we finally talked AKdrift on here into getting a mountain bike earlier this year (or wore him down by not shutting up, he was a BMXer by trade) and he's WAY into it now. got a Kona Operator on the cheap and now he's going full Hadley/DT wheels, the full Avalanche package for his fork, and a DB Kitsuma coil... been hitting black and double black jump lines around wherever the hell he lives now... Redmond, WA? everyone here should just all buy MTBs haha.

11. shakazulu12

I'm fully addicted at this point and just want to get better. I'm envious of those with a BMX background. Every time I see them on a MTB, it seems like they just have that little bit extra. Same as you, I'm not really messing with the DJ until stuff breaks. Going to get some coaching and just keep working at it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Sweatypants

i dunno that he's ridden ANY tech at all this year yet, so when we all meet up next year, maybe we leave him behind, maybe he crashes, who knows. but he's been spending all his time on jump lines, and when we were younger he was clearly the dude grinding rails and boxes and doing 360* bunny hops and tail whips, so of course he picked up jumping a DH bike real quick. he's gonna blow me and our other buddy away on any flow trail in Whistler. but then i look at it like... well, he can help me and tow me in on jumps, and then he can follow us on tech, and all will be well. we'll see. i wanna think about getting Yoann to coach us for a day or 2. i might look into that haha, if anything just cause he's so hilarious and good.

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

YEP ! diggin them tires ! :) bike is lookin sweet.

14. shakazulu12

Yoann Barrelli? I would want coaching with him just because his accent makes me laugh:crackup:

15. shakazulu12

No hate on the top gear here. I can spend 60-90 minutes climbing before I get to go back down. By the second lap, it's all in the granny gear:p

16. Sweatypants

yea man haha. i know he does coaching now. i feel like his vibe is infectious. i will look into it in the spring time a few months out.

17. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Looks awesome and would be interested to see how the wheels go over time. On the eewings, what crank length did you settle on?

18. shakazulu12

The wheels are fine. I got them earlier in the season and put a few hundred miles of mostly downhill abuse on them. The crew at Berd will build whatever you ask for. I reached out about a custom wheelset, but geared towards smashing. They said their standard wheels would have no issues surviving the abuse and smash away. I only changed the hubs to DT Swiss. Turns out they were right. Obviously running through a rock garden at 10 PSI would probably not end well. But I don’t actually think about possible rim damage at all anymore. They have some cool slow motion video of them testing the rims for impact damage on their social media platforms. I think the spokes allowing so much deformation allows them to dissipate a lot more impact force.

Cranks are 165mm and also running an oval chainring. This was mostly at the advice of a few sports physicians to get rid of that last bit of knee pain from my ACL replacement though.

19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You didn't play around building that... Eewings and everything! We're in FL so no crazy long steep downhill runs. I'm still rocking a 16'/17' Scout but I'm pretty sure a Spur will find it's way home to our place one of these days.

20. shakazulu12

The cranks got me at “purple”

Prince logo sticker going on soon

PMooney Jr. likes this.