1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Nice bike with a very good build kit for that price point. Performance bike will warranty the frame.......it's most likely made by Sappa who OEMs frames for some major brands.

I have a 130mm 29er full suspension bike and a hard tail 29er as well. Bot have their purpose and excel at different tasks. What's your upper budget and where will you be riding MOST of the time (terrain, area, etc...)?

2. STT-Rider

No that's not the Orchard. I actually tried to buy the place you're staying in and turn it into a MTB specific lodge. You're 200 yards from the bike shop.

I'll pm you my info and as it gets closer lets discuss some riding options. You and your friends bikes are great for here...bring some lungs....we'll be riding at around 5k feet.

Looking forward to sharing our awesome trails with you guys.

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Charge makes pretty decent stuff, their parent company is Cannondale/Cycle Sports Group, so I imagine that it will be relatively well engineered with good warranty support.

4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Most of my riding will be pretty mild cross country type stuff that to be honest my current bike, HT Diamondback 650b with entry level components, does just fine on. The stuff that I have the most fun on though I think would be much better suited by a full suspension bike.

I took my dad's Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 out today on the more technical stuff around here and holy shit what a difference, it felt like I was cheating. Once I got comfortable on it I was purposely taking bad lines and the bike just tracked over all of it.

Every time I think I have my mind made up I open another can of worms. I'd like to stick with one kind of do it all bike and after today I don't think I'll mind lugging around the FS, I'd rather have it and not need it most of the time than be wishing I had it when I do get on the more technical trails.

I'd like to stay around $3k and I keep coming back to a Santa Cruz Bantam but I think Giant would be a little more bang for the buck...

5. STT-Rider

For 3k you can get that PB hardtail AND a nice 2015 Trek Fuel EX-8 full suspension 29er. My local Trek dealer is offing some 2015 model Fuel EX 29ers for 2k plus tax. Interested let me know.

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...there's that can of worms again, I kind of like that idea though.

7. STT-Rider

You know you want to.......

8. Gigantic

Meh. Suspension is overrated...:moon:

[​IMG]

9. STT-Rider

You'd fuckin' die on that thing if you spent and afternoon with me. Edit.....however, if there was sand or snow...I'd be walking.

10. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Oh, you have an air suspension on that thing...it's just located within the tires

I've been riding my Giant Trance 27.5 1 a lot lately. I think I've finally hit the 'i'm old and want to be comfortable' demographic of fs MTB'ing at the ripe old age of 35

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is that an 11 speed rear cog with a 44? :D Those bikes do pretty good on "breaking in" trails around here. :up:

12. Gigantic

Nah, it's just a 1x10 with an 11-36 cassette and a 32t cr.

Monte, I don't doubt for a second that the elevation would make quick work of me, I'm used to riding at sea level +5-800 feet. Rocks and tech? We've got plenty of that here, i just have to be really deliberate in picking lines, but with relatively slack geometry and a dropper post, it's amazing what this bike can do. :up:
    that said, I think my next purchase will be a suspension fork, it does give quite a beating in spite of the squish in the tires.

13. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

14. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

What do you want this for?

To give an example, I just commute to work and skip car trips here and there (13 miles one way, hills). I hate aluminum frames with passion and after motorcycles and good mountain bikes rim brakes feel too foreign. So I got a steel frame, disk brake bike with good components and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

If I were to join some team or ride centuries I'd probably be more willing to either tolerate aluminum or spring for carbon or ti frame and deal with the stupid rim brakes.

15. omatter34

Mostly something to just hop on and get some exercise right out of the neighborhood. Would be riding on paved bike trails mostly.

16. v42168

v42168 Well-Known Member

The specs don't even say what level of components, but it's a triple up front with an 8 sp cassette which is pretty outdated. I'd find something with at least Shimano 105 components, a double chainring (compact if you're climbing) and a 10 or 11 sp cassette. I wouldn't even consider that a good starter bike.

17. El Cubano

El Cubano Truth Bomber

TRUTH^

18. El Cubano

El Cubano Truth Bomber

My wife is a pretty badass XC racer. She races a Giant Lust Advanced 2, full suspension and 27.5 wheels. She loves the wheel size and has won multiple championships on it.

19. omatter34

I live in Florida so it would be flat riding for the most part.

20. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

under the specifications is says sora rear and sti shifters. It's a good bike for a beginner.

Try it out for $500, if you don't like it sell it for $250.

If you do, spring for a $2500 bike and keep that one for cruiser duty

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014