1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Trailer ???

Discussion in 'General' started by mcracr, Aug 18, 2002.

1. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

I'm looking for the motorcycle trailer that just plugs into your hitch receiver and the bike sits across the back of the truck. Any good manufacturers, links or deals? Anyone care to comment on their experiences, good or bad?

Thanks -

Scott

2. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

This is one that I considered before buying a regular trailer instead. I can't comment on how well it may or may not work though.
    http://www.mototote.com/

3. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

I thought about getting one myself but the bike is not protected against anything(getting rear ended for example) and you can't carry anything else there like gas and such that I ratehr have outside vice inside my SUV. Also I only have a class 2 trailer hitch so it wouldn't have worked anywayz. :D

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

FWIW, the "motorcycle specific" units seemed to be overpriced.

I don't know what you plan on hauling, but I was looking for a unit that could carry something like a YSR or lightweight street bike. There are units that fit into a Class III 2 inch receiver that could be modifed to carry a bike. Here is one example, available from Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=31849&prmenbr=6970

The weight limit is 500 pounds ... more than enough for a small bike. However, the length of the unit is 60 inches ... I'm not sure if the bike you desire to carry is short enough to fit on it. Bear in mind that the weight limit is probably governed by the capacity of your receiver and vehicle rather than the unit itself.

The Northern Tool retail store nearest you is probably Richmond, VA. Not exactly in the neighborhood, but mail order is an option.

5. mcracr

Shoulda posted my intentions in the original note...

Just wanted something to haul a 250 MX bike on the back of my 96 Discovery. I want something easy to take the MX bike to off-road parks or trails - I can pack all my gear and gas and tools in the back and not have to haul my trailer to/from the riding area.

Thanks for the tips so far!

6. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

I use a Mototote for my TTR125 and it works just fine. I wouldn't think it would be any problem for a 250MX bike.

FWIW

Monty Warsing

7. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

I have a Moto-Tote. I carried my race SV from Knoxville to Atlanta on it without a problem. (On the back of the RV.) Also have carried the DRZ on it several times. I got the moto-tote used for $85.

-=-=-=-

Versa-Haul is another one
    http://www.versahaul.com/

8. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

My Dad has a machine shop. We were talking the other day about these and he said he would make one for me. :p

I'll let you know how it turns out. ;)

9. SClark

Two words... Lia Bility.

I thought that it wouldn't take much to make one, but all it takes is one GSXR1BUSAF4XX to go bouncing down the highway and your ass is in court.

Let me know if you want any measurements from the Moto-Tote.

10. wpasicznyk

wpasicznyk Well-Known Member

I saw what you'r looking for on either harborfreight.com or northerntool.com. Double check the URL's. They're not rated for a lot of weight. I'd guess the 250 whould be ok.

11. mcracr

I was thinking of just making one of my own as well - full access to my dad's machine shop. I may need to extend the main bar a bit as the spare wheel is carried on the back door of the Disco.

There's a local dealer that carries the VersaHaul - I'll check that out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice gang!

12. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

My Dad had one made to fit on the back of a fifth wheel trailer. It had three receiver type connections. He carried a BMW 1150 with no problem. Looked like the circus comming to town but you know the BMW guys. I called him Jed (Bevelery Hillbillies):D

13. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

Man that would stink if I lost the DR that way. :eek:

Probably could use some measurements if it's not to much trouble, although we will probably custom fit it for my DR, give or take. Mainly interested in the size of the tubing, etc. And how much does the tote weigh?? Don't want to break my back putting the carrier on the truck. I already do that with my trailer. ;)

Thanks.

14. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

yes, I saw that little folding trailer at harbor freight. I thought it was the anwer for me. It didn't seem rigid enough though. It has the little 10" wheels, and that is what detered me.

I just get sick of having my trailer taking up the garage sometimes, so I was looking for a folding unit.

then a friend burned up some 10" wheels and axles on his trailer. We both have engineering backgrounds, but neither of us thought that the 10" wheels have to turn Very fast, when trailing a car at 70MPH.... :(

15. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

I used one of the generic baskets to carry my MZ Skorpion on the back of a Discovery. (Once !!)

This configuration was a bit unstable - the bike weighs 375, and there is no way to get enough angle on the tiedowns. My bike's wheelbase was also a bit longer than the basket, so I used a board under the wheels, further adding to the instability.

It also felt like there was too much weight on the rear of the Disco. I held my breath every time we hit a bump in the road. It did sorta feel like the Clampett rig. :)

It did work without incident, but I would NOT recommend it!

If I use it again (not likely), I'll weld a lip extension and chock for the front wheel and weld some angle iron perpendicular to the basket with about a foot of overhang for better tiedown points.

About the spare tire clearance, mine worked, but had to be loaded with the front end away from the spare.

All that said, I think you would be fine with a 200 lb mx bike.

16. SClark

Without the access ramp, it's HEAVY, but manageble.
    With the ramp attached, it's too heavy for just one.

It's got a 2x2 post for installation in the class III hitch. The round horseshoe tubing is probably 2 inches around. I'll measure tonight for exacts.

17. mcracr

Picked up the Single M/C VersaHaul (http://www.versahaul.com/ModelVH-55RO.htm) at Keystone Trailers (www.keystonetrailers.com) and it installed quickly and works pretty well! I hauled the CR250 no problem, and the RZ350RR fit easliy and tied down nicely, but there definitely was a bit of a sag in the rear of the Discovery w/ the RZ350RR. The VersaHaul is rated for 500lbs, but I don't think I'd put that much on the back of the Disco w/o changing the springs.

So it's a nice hauler for the dirtbike - now I'll just keep an eye open for a good enclosed trailer for the roadrace bikes!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions