1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Photos

Discussion in 'General' started by roxychic46, Jan 25, 2010.

1. roxychic46

roxychic46 Well-Known Member

2. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

4. roxychic46

roxychic46 Well-Known Member

5. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Thanks, yep, those were mine. More here:

http://www.latebraker.com/WSBK_Wallpaper.shtml

The WSBK racers are amazingly fun to shoot. Incredibly fast, consistent, with great form (obviously), and the bikes and gear all look so spectacular! I can't wait for the 2010 event at Miller.

6. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Couldn't help myself. :eek: ;)

7. 600RR21

600RR21 Well-Known Member

Yep, just need to throw down $5,000 for a D3S Camera Body and another $1300 for a 300mm prime and you can take great pictures too :)

8. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I wish my 300mm prime only cost that much. Oh well, at least they hold their value better than my bikes do...

9. Wow! Great photos!

[​IMG]

10. 600RR21

600RR21 Well-Known Member

You should go all the way and just buy a $6,000 500mm Canon prime and call it a day :up:

And you are right, lenses hold their value extremely well..

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I found my picture taking experience similar to my racing experience. You can spend all you want on gear only to find out just how limited the rider/user is. I took better pictures with a kodak instamatic than I did with my buddies four thousand dollar set up. He said I did't even have an eye for the obvious!

12. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Too late, I already have the $8,000.00 600mm Canon prime (thankfully, I found a nice used one that cost a bit less).

I'd sure like a nice 800 for Miller, but $12,000 is a little too much. :eek: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-800mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00132FXOW

13. Sevenfiddy

Sevenfiddy Well-Known Member

14. R1 Brian

R1 Brian Well-Known Member

So can a newbie ask a few questions ?

I am just getting into photography, and would love to have shots like those. Money is an issue, so I am not able to spend 3-4 grand on a lens. The type of images you have, would be what I am interested in shooting. I love action shots, whether it be bikes, or cars.

I currently have a 450d (xsi ) and a few of the lower dollar lenses. I have a non is 70-300, the 28-135is, and the 28-135is. I am looking for one lens that would be a good zoom, that's under 2000. Any sugestion guys ?

At some point I would also like to get a 7d, or a 5 d mk 2, but that is years away.

Thanks for the info

15. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Fast, big primes will give you sharper images, but zooms are certainly more versatile. I've been able to take some pretty good photos with the first higher-end zoom I bought for my Canon a few years back. It's the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx). You can find one for around $1,500.00.

It's not the fastest lens, but pretty darn good and versatile for the money.

Another option, which I did when I first starting shooting at the track, is to rent various big primes. It's not cheap to rent them (which is ultimately why I decided to buy them instead), but it sure is fun to get to use them and produce some really high quality images as you learn. I rented them from this place (http://www.lensrentals.com/), and I highly recommend them.

16. R1 Brian

R1 Brian Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.. I have actually looked at that lens. I have heard a lot of people say to go with the 2.8's like a 70-200 because of speed, but I wondered how a 5.6 would do in good light.

btw, I have your Haga pic from SBK as my wallpaper

17. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Cool! Glad you liked the Haga pic.

A lot depends on the track where you would be shooting. At Miller, where I shoot most of my pics, they make you stay far away from the action. I need 300mm minimum, and often use that lens with a 1.4x teleconverter because I'm still too far away, and that's in the closest locations to the track (like on the first image of Ben Spies). I also have to use the 600mm lens quite a bit.

If you can shoot somewhere where you can be closer to the action, the speed of a 2.8 would help. Because you'll be shooting outdoors in very high light condition, the amount of light you're letting in will be less of a factor. In fact, closing the aperture will give you a broader depth of field, and potentially allow for more forgiving focus if your lens and camera can't focus as fast. To compensate for the slower lens, you can also turn up the ISO on your camera a bit so you can keep a higher shutter speed for a sharper image.

18. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

19. KillerCam

KillerCam KillerCam Racing

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I use a 100-400 and even use it with a 1.4x converter. It can work pretty well, not 300 prime quailty but not bad at all. The real limiting feature is the focus speed. It can't keep up with the speed and accuracy of the 300 and that is with a MKIIn body.

A good non canon lens is the Sigma 120-300 2.8 or the Sigma 300 2.8 prime.