1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOTOGP Mugello - Anyone going to be there?!

Discussion in 'General' started by BobbyGrand, May 12, 2017.

1. BobbyGrand

BobbyGrand Well-Known Member

Amazingly planned a trip to Italy culminating in in Florence / Mugello for the GP race. Anyone ever been and have tips? Anyone going by chance?

I have only been to US rounds (COTA + Indy) and I'm excited to see the difference in atmosphere at the Euro rounds.

2. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Yes! We'll be there too! Meeting some friends who moved to the UK last year. It'll be a super short visit for us since my wife can't get more time off from work but it'll still be a blast.

3. BobbyGrand

Where are you sitting? I dont have tickets yet....waiting for my friend who works for Sparco (contracted with GP + Loris Capirossi) to get me hospitality tickets for Sunday. Apparently the drive to an from the track is a nightmare...

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

I will be in Tuscany but skipping Mugello. Priorities. :D

5. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I think it's the bronze section along the front straight.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Train from Firenze to Borgo San Lorenzo. Plan to walk a fair distance. You can cut across a field but will need to clamber down into and out of small creek bed.

It's crowded. Very crowded. Bring ear pro. Chainsaws everywhere. It can also be very hot with no shade. Stay cool if you can by walking to the shaded trees near poggio secco when possible. Go out on track after the race with all the other maniacs but watch for people on bikes and scooters. That is correct.

Don't schedule anything the night after unless late in the evening. You will probably be quiet tired.

Attached Files:

7. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

This. I went a few years ago, it was epic but its a hump for sure.

8. BobbyGrand

From what the sites say it's 5k to the track - could probably get a shuttle or private car / taxi as I plan on arriving super early on race day.

The way home - who cares as long as I get back to Florence before midnight lol

9. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yeah if I did it again I'd rent a bike for that reason. I remember it being gridlocked all morning but the bikes and scooters were zooming in and out.

10. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

I would suggest the train to San Piero a Sieve instead of Borgo San Lorenzo if you're going to walk. It's a little shorter and more interesting to go through Scarperia. If using car or shuttle BSL would be better. If you ride the shuttle bus from the train station, be prepared to surrender your concept of personal space. You will be literally pressed against as many people as they can fit on the bus sitting and standing for 30 minutes.

My favorite place we watched from was the hillside above Cassanova Savelli. It's the best view and the best atmosphere. If you try to get on (or off) that hill after moto3 starts, you will literally have to step over people. "mi dispiace" It's worth a trek down to the Rossi fan club in Poggio Secco just to see the fans.

While you can get away with English in most of tourist Italy, you'll need some Italian phrases at the racetrack to order food, buy t shirts, present your ticket when asked, locate the shuttle, etc.

Noise maker chainsaw with a megaphone pipe
    [​IMG]

Hillside view of half the track
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Track "invasion"
    [​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  11. nitto182

nitto182 Well-Known Member

I'll be going! will probably scope it out on Friday just to make sure I know where I'm going

flyboy likes this.
  12. BobbyGrand

Is this view from general admission ticket?

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Ahh, Mugello! I miss that place! Get GA passes and walk around. It's so much fun taking in the madness that is the Italian GP!

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Until Mary Spies gets your ass kicked out? :Poke: :crackup:

15. ceebus

ceebus Well-Known Member

Yep. So is the hillside directly across the track covered with people. Grandstand seats would be a waste of money with a worse view IMO

16. BobbyGrand

Looks like its the earliest train from Florence to San Piero a Sieve on Sunday with a GA ticket (unless my contact can hook it up w/ hospitality pass) so I can get a spot with all the crazies on the hillside for the day. I'm going solo since my wife is pregnant and most certainly wont want to walk and stand all day. Hope to see some of you there!

1. Vale
    2. Mave
    3. Joker

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I went there in 2008, it was insane. I rode there as part of a tour, they had Ducati parking and ducati grandstand passes. Of course we walked around all day, it was insane, people everywhere and it can be quite hot. Italians are not big on basics like bottled water or cokes, either, so be prepared for that. Lines at the food tent were ok. "Lines" are a misnomer, it's more of a competition getting your food.

But man, what an experience. I had a blast. Leaving the circuit was crazy, we sat out on the road for hours, then it was inexplicably opened and we zoomed right out of there. GPs are an incredible show. You'll have a great time.