1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP @ COTA 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by Chango, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It seems like there's a thread seeking recommendations on what to do every year, and since my wife just said that going to COTA for the races this year would be acceptable, here we go.

So, where to stay, park, watch qualifying, watch the races, eat, drink, go for beers, etc? I don't know if we'll be there for all 3 days, but we will absolutely be there Saturday and Sunday. We will most likely have two kids in tow, 4 and 5, so kid friendly will probably be a concern for some stuff. We aren't necessarily looking for the VIP experience, but we don't have to try to sneak in for free either. So, what does the all-knowing Beeb recommend?

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

<Subscribed>

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Going this year as well, interested to see what everyone has to say.

4. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

Hotels downtown have become silly with their pricing. What was $150 per night 4-5 years ago is $300 now. Get on VRBO, there are some great lofts. You will need a car. The track is about 30 mins from downtown. Don't miss the handbuilt motorcycle show. I know you said you weren't looking for the VIP experience but this is cheaper than buying a seat and paddock pass:

http://ducati1299.com/racing/27450-new-cota-group-buy.html

I have some interest but I need 30 people to make it happen.

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about riding down there from southern Indiana if anyone wants to meet up. Split a air bnb or whatever.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

We will definitely be in the car for the weekend. It's only an 8 hour drive from central Arkansas, so easily doable in a day.

We will definitely be getting general admission tickets since I really don't want to spend an extra $500 on tickets just for kids when they get in free with GA. I am thinking about adding the Paddock Pass or whatever it's called, unless I have to pay for the kids to have one too. I'm just too cheap to spend that much extra for the kids at this age.

Anyway, thanks for the tips so far.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Wish I could help more but I just drive from my house. I dont know much about the air bnb / VRBO stuff but if you have a car and want a more laid back experience you can get nice, reasonably affordable hotels up north in Round Rock. That is about 40 min from the track on the toll road. Handbuilt motorcycle show is a definite must go.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Kids 4 and 5?

Yeah, a wagon.

colin96 likes this.
  9. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We plan to do the "Mini Demos" again for 2017. Bring the kiddos by to watch little racers put on a show on their pint size race bikes.

10. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

moved from NE Ohio, now live about 2 hours from COTA. Went last year, just got the general admission tickets, no regrets and plenty of seats for all the AMA and GP qualifying, etc. Got a little more tricky for the GP race but saved tons of cash and had tons of fun. Great facility and plenty of places to watch the racing. I had an old racing buddy from up north come down and we caught a nice dinner in Austin after Saturdays racing and then found a cheaper hotel outside of town.

You can certainly go to the race on the CHEAP! We will be heading back this year for sure!

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Going. AirBNB + Turn 15 seats. Wife & I will ride bikes. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Cheers,

Dave

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

We watched from T15 grandstands, front straight premo seats, and the Turn 1 hill. Other than the observation tower or a luxury box... I thought T1 hill was the better GA viewing area. It also had a giant jumbo tron! :D

hotnail likes this.
  13. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

The best seats are at Turn 15, as high up in the bleachers as possible.
    From there you can see the straight that leads into turn 12, 13, 14, 1nd 15. Lots of passing there.
    I always stay at the Quality Inn in Bastrop, Tx. Other good hotels there too.
    It is opposite direction from Austin, so you come to the track against the traffic.
    It's about $80/night for a family of 4.

hotnail likes this.
  14. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I always get GA tickets, always works for me, can walk around and see stuff. I saw a lot of people at F1 bring those new inflatable chair things. Makes a nice alternative to camping chairs, especially if space is limited on the trip down.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We did General admission last year too and walked all around both days. We didn't get into the MotoAmerica pits. I heard that you had to pay extra and then I heard you didn't, does anyone know? I know at Laguna Seca, you can walk all around the MA pits and see your friends, just can't get on hot pit or into the MOTOGP pits.

16. caferace

caferace No.

Last year they kinda checked passes coming in through the outside paddock gate near T1. Entrance to the GP paddock was electronic scan for all entries Sat and Sun but not Friday. Once in the outside paddock (easy without a paddock pass I imagine) make a hard right and that would put you into the AMA paddock.

-jim

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The GP garages were very secure. Credential definitely required... MotoAmerica pits were wide open. Saw just about everyone there too! :D First time I saw Elias strolling around I though he was lost. He was like a motorcycle racer, but smaller. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Been the past three years and all of them were working. First two years was doing the air fence and last year was a grid Marshall. It is a great race and track. Gotta see turn one in person to see how big that hill is. Hotels in down town are way to expensive but you can find deals away from there.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I will definitely try and get into the MA pits, then. We were both bummed last year, as we thought they were off limits. It was in a different section all fenced off separately, we walked up, but were turned away by some rent-a-cops.