1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP 6 Engine Rule - good or bad ?

Discussion in 'General' started by mlysung, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mlysung

mlysung Active Member

So what do you think about the MotoGP 6 engine rule and do you think the rule should be changed or modified for next year? Last year was unlimited, but is making durability a part of race equation expensive and unsafe ? And especially for Suzuki this year, having so many crashes, they only have 1 fresh engine left !! And if they get 3 fresh new engine, should they be allowed a pass and not have to start from the pits ?

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

They already got more engines without any penalty, due to MSMA vote at Brno.

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Just Suzuki? Or all the others also?

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Just them at this point.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I stil don't quite understand the engine claiming and restrictions in the next iteration. I need the fourth grade version.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

1 engine per round make sense to me. The current rule is as assinine as the "throw away 2 rounds" rule they had back in the early 1990's.

So, I think it flys in the face of the never go full retard rule.

7. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Not sure if the engine rule is causing crashes, but it's clearly causing some teams to back off in a race. Brno was a good example.

I bet all of the teams are going to throw Sepang this year. No sense in even showing up if it eats another motor in their allotment.

There was a mechanic being interviewed saying that the cost for developing piston longevity is 4-5 times higher than last year. I'm sure the other parts fall into the same equation.

8. random hero

random hero Banned

What does an ama sbk motor last, time wise?

9. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

I bet they replace them at or under 600 km.

10. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

It sucks, for them.

11. keppyou812

keppyou812 Active Member

hmmm, well the one engine manufacturer seems to work for Indycar, and the limited number of engines is working for F1. Heck, F1 isn't even doing fuel stops. Just tires. Fuel load lasts till end of race.

12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I know Aussie dave rebuilds his once a season unless something happens to it. He raced at vegas in the wera round on Jan 31st on a motor that lasted the whole AMA season and that weekend. His motors are around 200hp ish